Hoegaarden

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
I tryed the witbier Hoegaarden. Pronounced who-garden. The beer is fantastic. I was wondering if anyone out there has a recipe
for the belgium white beer.

It is expensive and hard to come by so making my own would be great.

thanks guys :ph34r:

I tryed the witbier Hoegaarden. Pronounced who-garden. The beer is fantastic. I was wondering if anyone out there has a recipe for the belgium white beer.

thanks guys :ph34r:

Go to the Style of the Week Forums and read up on some of the witbiers and on the Grumpys masterbrew(?) clone that may be worth a look at. Otherwise take Sinkas advice and try googling to see what comes up. Still got a few Hoegaardens in the fridge and drink them occasionally (never give them away to the swill drinkers .. they are unworthy)

I found this one on the net ages ago. I was going to make it for my sister in law but I really don't like Wheat Beer so it was easier to just buy her a few stubbys when she comes over.

3.30 lbs. Light liquid malt extract
2.00 lbs. Dry wheat malt extract
0.50 lbs. Cracked unmalted wheat
0.50 lbs. Rolled (flaked) oats

HOPS (pellet)
0.5oz Saaz (60 minutes in boil)
0.7oz E.K. Goldings (60 minutes in boil)
0.5oz Saaz (15 minutes in boil)

OTHER
1.25 tsp. (0.1oz) Coriander seeds (15 mminutes in boil)
2.00 tsp. (0.1oz) Dried BITTER Orange (15 minutes in boil)

Steep whole grains in 1/2 gallon water @ 155F for 30 minutes. Rinse with 1 or 2 pints of 170F water. Remove grains, add 2.0 gal water & extract, start 60 minute boil. Add hops and other ingredients as specified.

White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast (WLP400)

Notes: Adding 2 oz of lactic acid may give an even more authentic Hoegaarden taste. I thought it may need a slight boost in the coriander and bitter orange as well; maybe even double the quantity of each??? But maybe that's too much.

Good Luck

P.S I'm not sure if I should have reproduced some body's recipe with out giving them credit. Please point this out if it wrong and I wont do it again

I made one last night, don't know if any good 1st one I tried.

But I followed some info from this thread and made my own.

1 x Morgans Wheat tin
1 x Coopers Wheat LME
30g of Curacao Orange (from G&G site sponsor)
20g coriander seed
Saaz hops
WB-06 Yeast

Fermenting @ 20c

Youngy

I found this one on the net ages ago. I was going to make it for my sister in law but I really don't like Wheat Beer so it was easier to just buy her a few stubbys when she comes over.
3.30 lbs. Light liquid malt extract
2.00 lbs. Dry wheat malt extract
0.50 lbs. Cracked unmalted wheat
0.50 lbs. Rolled (flaked) oats

HOPS (pellet)
0.5oz Saaz (60 minutes in boil)
0.7oz E.K. Goldings (60 minutes in boil)
0.5oz Saaz (15 minutes in boil)

OTHER
1.25 tsp. (0.1oz) Coriander seeds (15 mminutes in boil)
2.00 tsp. (0.1oz) Dried BITTER Orange (15 minutes in boil)

Steep whole grains in 1/2 gallon water @ 155F for 30 minutes. Rinse with 1 or 2 pints of 170F water. Remove grains, add 2.0 gal water & extract, start 60 minute boil. Add hops and other ingredients as specified.

White Labs Belgian Wit Ale Yeast (WLP400)

Notes: Adding 2 oz of lactic acid may give an even more authentic Hoegaarden taste. I thought it may need a slight boost in the coriander and bitter orange as well; maybe even double the quantity of each??? But maybe that's too much.

Good Luck

P.S I'm not sure if I should have reproduced some body's recipe with out giving them credit. Please point this out if it wrong and I wont do it again

You'd need to crush the wheat and oats and include some base malt in the steep get conversion, otherwise I can't see the point.
Also you will really struggle to get the very light straw colour that is typical of a wit using malt extracts.

but good luck
HStB

I made one last night, don't know if any good 1st one I tried.

But I followed some info from this thread and made my own.

1 x Morgans Wheat tin
1 x Coopers Wheat LME
30g of Curacao Orange (from G&G site sponsor)
20g coriander seed
Saaz hops
WB-06 Yeast

Fermenting @ 20c

Youngy

Hey Youngy
The flavours in a wit are driven by the spices not so much by the yeast. You may find that the WB-06 gives clove flavours that come over the top and dominate the orange and coriander. Try and keep the ferment temp as low as possible to minimise this. K-97 or even US-56 are better choice of dry yeast for a wit, but still should be a good drinking wit/weizen hybrid :)
cheers
HStB

Made a Hoegaarden clone not long ago as a partial mash with plenty of torrefied wheat & WB-06 - should be able to find the recipe I posted somewhere on the forums.

You're right about the colour through HaigSt - it's definitely not wit, more a cloudy straw. Fermentation temp wasn't hard to control, WB-06 yeast didn't explode out of the airlock as I worried, instead was very well behaved at 20C fermenting evenly over a week or so and staying close to ambient.
Was initially concerned that i'd overdone it with the spices, added as primary was nearing completion, but a few weeks after bottling things have settled into a very well balanced beer.

After trying to brew a couple of hoegaarden clones, some years apart (in experience and time) I reckon it's a reasonably forgiving style, but I doubt you could get the colour without a full mash

This is supposed to be close. I just put it down

1 x 3kg can ESB wheat.
250 grams dry wheat malt.
14 grams Fuggles (10 min boil)
14 grams Goldings (15 min boil)
20 grams dried bitter orange peel (ordered from Grain and Grape)
30 grams cracked coriander seeds (make sure it has a nice citrusy smell)
2 grams cumin seed
500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged.
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast (the Wyeast equivalent is the 3944).

Boil all ingredients (except yeast) for 15 minutes, although I added the Fuggles 5 minutes in. Cold break in an ice bath. Strained into fermenter

HaigStBrewery,

Thanks for that, I have dropped the fermentation fridge down to 17c. The people I talked to told me not to use K-97 and to use WB-06. I think that due to K-97 not being a wheat yeast.

I have K-97 is the fridge, but that was for my Klsch

See how it goes, I guess.

Youngy.

This is supposed to be close. I just put it down
1 x 3kg can ESB wheat.
250 grams dry wheat malt.
14 grams Fuggles (10 min boil)
14 grams Goldings (15 min boil)
20 grams dried bitter orange peel (ordered from Grain and Grape)
30 grams cracked coriander seeds (make sure it has a nice citrusy smell)
2 grams cumin seed
500 grams torrefied wheat, steeped for 30 mins in hot water then sparged.
White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit yeast (the Wyeast equivalent is the 3944).

Boil all ingredients (except yeast) for 15 minutes, although I added the Fuggles 5 minutes in. Cold break in an ice bath. Strained into fermenter

I can never pick up any hops in Hoegaarden, especially not goldings and fuggle. I'd skip late additions altogether if you're trying to replicate the style.
Also what's the point in steeping torrefied wheat? You're not going to get anything out of it, are you? It certainly has no amylases.

MFS

HaigStBrewery,

Thanks for that, I have dropped the fermentation fridge down to 17c. The people I talked to told me not to use K-97 and to use WB-06. I think that due to K-97 not being a wheat yeast.

I have K-97 is the fridge, but that was for my Klsch

See how it goes, I guess.

Youngy.
It all depends on what sort of wheat beer you are brewing. I find K-97 works great in wit. It ferments clean so those lovely orangey spices come through nicely and takes a quite a while to drop out so helps keep the beer cloudy = perfect for a wit (white) bier. On the other hand I am just fininshing off a keg of heffeweizen brewed with WB-06 - this is a fantastic dry yeast for this style producing cloves and subtle banana-vanillla flavours (I fermented at 22oC).
Horses for courses, but don't worry your wit-zen will be fine.
cheers
HStB

Made a Hoegaarden clone not long ago as a partial mash with plenty of torrefied wheat & WB-06 - should be able to find the recipe I posted somewhere on the forums.

You're right about the colour through HaigSt - it's definitely not wit, more a cloudy straw. Fermentation temp wasn't hard to control, WB-06 yeast didn't explode out of the airlock as I worried, instead was very well behaved at 20C fermenting evenly over a week or so and staying close to ambient.
Was initially concerned that i'd overdone it with the spices, added as primary was nearing completion, but a few weeks after bottling things have settled into a very well balanced beer.

After trying to brew a couple of hoegaarden clones, some years apart (in experience and time) I reckon it's a reasonably forgiving style, but I doubt you could get the colour without a full mash

The use of Hops in this brew have left me undecided. There are opinions for fuggles, saaz and gouldings in the beer. Spoke to my local brew man and he said not to use extra hops and consintrate on getting the spices at the right dose

Go to the Style of the Week Forums and read up on some of the witbiers and on the Grumpys masterbrew(?) clone that may be worth a look at. Otherwise take Sinkas advice and try googling to see what comes up. Still got a few Hoegaardens in the fridge and drink them occasionally (never give them away to the swill drinkers .. they are unworthy)

The beer tasted so nice in the warm weather! And buying a carton is close to 100 dollars so Im really interested in home brewing it. I have looked at the site u recommened thanks

The beer tasted so nice in the warm weather! And buying a carton is close to 100 dollars so Im really interested in home brewing it. I have looked at the site u recommened thanks

Got to shop around. I paid $50 for the case (in Wollongong) and beer still a long way from its use by date. A worthy use of $50 I must say. Best of luck and get back to us with your results.

Got to shop around. I paid $50 for the case (in Wollongong) and beer still a long way from its use by date. A worthy use of $50 I must say. Best of luck and get back to us with your results.

Well first choice (owned by coles) is the only brew store around me locally that stock it. And 80 was a bit high..I ll keep looking.

Thats right hide this stuff dont encourage any mates to try it they will drink it on you hide from the swill!!

regards

Back