[hobart] Hopsters Gathering @ New Sydney Hotel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0M39A

Reaction score
" Hopsters all,

Next gathering includes premiere of Boags Wizard Smith Ale (on tap) many months in the making, brewing manager Tim Penton will be on hand to explain the English heritage of this significant new Boags release. Two Metre Tall Ashley will brush off a keg of his best-yet Foresters Pale Ale. Matilda Bays Malt, Hops and Water guy Brad Rogers has a new, funky Graystons Reserve to unleash along with some Alpha Pale Ale Matilda Bays Beer Mechanics (thats what you call guys who work in a garage brewery) Jeremy and Neil will also be there why? could it be Matilda Bay Brewing Co is about to announce a much close and cosier relationship with Tassie ??%&*$@!? All will be revealed on the night.

6-8pm Thursday 9 August 2007

New Sydney Hotel (upstairs) Cost: $25 (includes beer tapas)

Q: Whatever

A: Beer

Prost, Wilhelm von Biermeister (Count)
"

Anyone else in the Hobart area able to make it to this event?

I'll be doing my best to make it, would be great to meet some more AHB'ers.

cheers & beers

hope to be there too. on call thursday night, but will try to get someone to cover for me.

awesome.

now where are the rest of you hobartians? hopefully will be worth it just to taste Graystons Reserve on tap, let alone the others.

yeah, interested in the new forester as well. if its improved again from my second tasting, it'll be a good one.

and the matilda bay announcement has me thinking as well. we really need a brew pub down here, maybe they bought the old sandy bay brew pub??? wishful thinking?
joe

You mean St Ives Brewery?

Wasn't aware it had shut down...

Never tried any of their beers, hell, I don't think I've ever even been in there.

[edit]

Is the dark isle brewery still operating do you know?

http://www.darkisle.com.au/default.htm

never checked them out either which is a little sad.

Dark Isle is the house brew at brew by you, to the best of my knowledge they are still trading.

I work with David Thomas (Taveners Mead) and he hints at some of the funny buggers that goes on in the beverage industry in Tas. IIRC Hazards Ale is imported from Vic, because they wouldn't invest the capital in getting David to make it. He was making for Sorell fruit farm (Fruit Liquers) and Larks at the time so he is well qualified.

AFAIK St Ives is not operating, I am not certain it is all there still. Besides it would be too noisy for the rich people who need their beauty sleep.

yup, st. ives. never been there either :hangs head in shame:
well, thats not entirely true. went to the night club part a loooong time ago, but never to the brew pub while it was in operation.

its not shut down entirely afaik. two metre tall brewing (they do the forester pale ale) had been using the brewery, maybe still are?

yup, dark isle are part of brew by you in glenorchy. they also sell home brew supplies. good guys there.

edit: glenos just beat me.

I'll be trying to make it there for Thursday as well. Make a special trip down, but will include a few other activities as well. Let me know if you can get someone to cover you Joe. Hope to see you there guys.

Justin

AFAIK St Ives is not operating, I am not certain it is all there still. Besides it would be too noisy for the rich people who need their beauty sleep.

lmfao!

and i thought that dark isle might be run by brew by you.

never been a fan of them there, ive tried to ask them brewing related questions before but it seems like they have no idea.

also had mates put on brews there, and they have come out horrible and sometimes infected.

Damn I'm working a late one, o well have fun guys

Should mention, the new sydney hotel is located at 87 Bathurst Street for anybody who doesnt know.

give this one last bump.

on tonight people!

So the big announcement from Matilda Bay was??? I heard they are stopping operations in Perth, relocating to Tas?

Dont think matilda bay actually ended up announcing anything, but there is going to be a new brewpub opening up in railton soon. i couldnt hear very well up the back, but i dont think it had anything to do with matilda bay, but maybe it does...

Maybe its a federal govt takeover of a struggling ....

Well it is is Braddon (most marginal electorate in Aus)

The new micro will be opening in Railton apparently from what Willie said. What a bloody coincidence-that's where I live. Woohoo, bring it on. Wonder how long it will be till it's operational? A while yet I imagine. Bold move building it in Railton, I would have though Latrobe would have been a better option but Willie did say Railton.

So we'll wait and see.

Moobrew Stout replaced of the Foresters on the night.

Good to see some things happening in the North of the State for a change!!
Could be an interesting drive home to Smithton

wtf was i thinking, of course it was railton, not latrobe.

edited previous post so people dont get the wrong idea.

shame (i dont think) i met you Justin. next meeting i should wear something that says 'ahb' on it :p

the moo brew stout was a welcome change, wasnt excited at all about trying the forester.

[edit]

you came all the way from railton just to go to the hopsters meeting? now thats dedication :D

Yeah I wasn't excited about that one either.

That's cool on the Railton thing, it's a noisy night easy mistake. I was blown away that there will soon be a micro in my home town. The bogans will love it LOL!!!

Funny thing was, Joe and I asked some random bloke at the HOPS meet if he was OM39A from AHB- he just looked at us like we were friggin weirdos! Guess he wasn't an AHB member either. :lol:

Sorry we didn't catch up, I thought I had an idea of who you were but alas, I was wrong. Good night though, I did have a few too many of those 7.8% stouts at the end of the night though.

Next time Gadget, next time.

yeah, was a great night.

i knew it was railton, but for some reason i had a brain fart and said latrobe, lol.

yeah, those stouts were pretty good, a little too sweet though, but still a great way to finish the night. might have over indulged a touch though, went to a few more pubs after the hops meeting, and... well i guess i autopiloted it home, as my bank account was a bit smaller due to some interesting transactions i dont exactly recall that well :p

Looking forward to the next meet though. like i said, ill wear a nametag or something that stands out a little bit :p

Latest posts

Back