Hmm..interesting Re; Handy Imports

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleasure Master

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a stainless pot to use as my boil kettle. I've read a few threads on here regarding pots from Handy Imports, so I sent an email asking a few questions about the the matters brought up in the threads..

Here's the reply;

"Thanks for your e-mail. Not suited for brewing as the collective impurities & top layer may corrode although the s/steel bulk wont."

hmm..

So they're telling you that the stainless will corrode??? Methinks you should stay away.

I do recall the odd commercial brewery that uses stainless without "top layer corrosion"
:huh:

I was chatting to a shipwright on the weekend, and the topic of stainless quality came up. Confirmed by the OP, not all stainless is high quality and there is some dodgy stuff coming from China. Like most things, if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is. To lean on another euphamism; You get what you pay for!

Cheers,

Clint

I'm just staring to think that "Handy imports" are getting a little tired of over-concerned brewers and would just rather not do the business.

As per the website....

Material: 18/10 Stainless steel construction - Induction ready: Yes Food grade: Yes Cool touch handles: Yes Dishwasher safe: Yes Reinforced rivets: Yes High heat capabilities: Yes

Any chemical genius's out there may be able to clarify the difference in what a "wort" is doing to the metal that is far worse than my salty crab water of bolognaise??

Any chemical genius's out there may be able to clarify the difference in what a "wort" is doing to the metal that is far worse than my salty crab water of bolognaise??

Certainly no chemistry whiz here, but wort is acidic and seems a bit corrosive... have you seen what it does to copper (inside a HERMS coil or the outside of an immersion chiller.. mm, shiny)?

I think it's got more to do with the chemicals a lot of brewers feel they need to use to clean their pots. I've been using a handy imports 98L pot for several months now and am happy with it. Looking at other threads on these pots I think it may be true that they've put homebrewers in the too hard basket .

I think it's got more to do with the chemicals a lot of brewers feel they need to use to clean their pots. I've been using a handy imports 98L pot for several months now and am happy with it. Looking at other threads on these pots I think it may be true that they've put homebrewers in the too hard basket .

+1 from me.

I have built a complete 4 vessel system from said pots with another vessel with an element for heating water for flushing the brewery for cleaning purposes and I have no complaints.
I think one pot arrived with a very small "ding" but not noticeable now it is all set up.

Cheers

Mines fine too :D

+1 from me.

I have built a complete 4 vessel system from said pots with another vessel with an element for heating water for flushing the brewery for cleaning purposes and I have no complaints.
I think one pot arrived with a very small "ding" but not noticeable now it is all set up.

Cheers

Mines fine too :D

+ 3 from me. I've done about 20 brews in my 71 litre pot with no problems.

cheers

nifty

Apologies for the blatent plug.... Cheaper, good quality & predrilled - 70L pots

cheers Ross

Back