Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitysa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I slow geting my gear for AG, but what the best size HLT for standard batch size of 20-25ltrs

thanks
mike

This depends :)

Are you going to do double batches ever?

I think the rule of thumb goes

HLT/Mash/Boil
50 / 50 /70

That is for a double batch,

So assuming you can just cut that in half for single batches

25 /25 / 35

So 25 will do you, however that being said - a 20L urn should suffice - you can always top up the HLT during the mash :)

cheers!

Chris

I'd go for 25 if you can. I have a 25L hlt and it is only just big enough sometimes. It never is an issue, but smaller would sometimes make things difficult.

I'd also say you need 40L for your boil. I sometimes have to be careful with my boils in the 40L pot. Again, never an issue, but that would be the smallest I'd want...

This depends :)

Are you going to do double batches ever?

I think the rule of thumb goes

HLT/Mash/Boil
50 / 50 /70

That is for a double batch,

So assuming you can just cut that in half for single batches

25 /25 / 35

So 25 will do you, however that being said - a 20L urn should suffice - you can always top up the HLT during the mash :)

cheers!

Chris

I do double batches with my 27 litre HLT. I just use 9 kgs of grain and go 2.5 to 3 litres per kilo. Easy.
Cheers
Steve

I do double batches with my 27 litre HLT. I just use 9 kgs of grain and go 2.5 to 3 litres per kilo. Easy.
Cheers
Steve

This might sound like a stupid question, but - If you're mashing at 2.5-3 L/K (22.5-27L Total)... you obviously refill and heat for sparging?

My suggestion was based around being able to put total water for a brew without the need to top-up and reheat...

This might sound like a stupid question, but - If you're mashing at 2.5-3 L/K (22.5-27L Total)... you obviously refill and heat for sparging?

My suggestion was based around being able to put total water for a brew without the need to top-up and reheat...

ah yeah - I get ya now. Yes I refill and heat for sparging.
Cheers
Steve

If you have a 50L HLT, you only need fill it once for the whole brew ;)

cheers

Browndog

at the moment i have got 38ltr mash tun and 50ltr kettle. and i will only ever do single batches

so a 20ltr hlt will probably do with re filling for the sparge

ta

at the moment i have got 38ltr mash tun and 50ltr kettle. and i will only ever do single batches

so a 20ltr hlt will probably do with re filling for the sparge

ta

If you're going to go a 20L HL, may I suggest getting an urn.

There are so many benefits to electric (plus with an urn, you get a built in sight level)... Putting it on a timer so that when you walk out your water is up to temp, etc.

I'm still on gas for my 50L HLT, but am looking to source a circa 3000W element for it so I can take advantage of all of these said benefits.

Cheers,

Chris.

Refilling during the mash saves you time. You heat strike water in less time (as there is less volume) then while the mash is happening, heat the sparge water. I always find there's plenty of time to do this with my 2400W rod of power.

Back