Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
I generally tune out to Lambies moronic abrasive drawl so no problem there, but for Abdel-Magied to sit there and skite about how sharia 'gives women rights' - obviously she fails to see the irony in that statement - is not only fallacious, but totally insensitive of the fact that Sudanese women, her country of birth and which she shares dual citizenship with, boasts one of the planets most appalling records of religiously mandated abuse against women on the planet. Perhaps, to use the popular SJW parlance, she needs to check her privilege. Abdel-Magied also fails to mention that "you follow the law of the land in which you are on" works unless it contravenes islamic law.

The programmers must surely know what the likely result of book ending Tony Jones with an loud mouthed nationalist and islamic apologist will be, certainly not anything positive.
But hey, here I am talking about it, just like everybody else, its a ratings win, so well played..
She actually posted a video on Junkee last night that addressed most of the above issues...

Dave70 said:
I generally tune out to Lambies moronic abrasive drawl so no problem there, but for Abdel-Magied to sit there and skite about how sharia 'gives women rights' - obviously she fails to see the irony in that statement - is not only fallacious, but totally insensitive of the fact that Sudanese women, her country of birth and which she shares dual citizenship with, boasts one of the planets most appalling records of religiously mandated abuse against women on the planet. Perhaps, to use the popular SJW parlance, she needs to check her privilege. Abdel-Magied also fails to mention that "you follow the law of the land in which you are on" works unless it contravenes islamic law.

The programmers must surely know what the likely result of book ending Tony Jones with an loud mouthed nationalist and islamic apologist will be, certainly not anything positive.
But hey, here I am talking about it, just like everybody else, its a ratings win, so well played..
Just like with conservative christianity, the most successful voices to offer rebellion and transgression/successful alternatives to Islam will need to come from within the muslim community.

Scriptures of all 3 main abrahamic texts are woeful in their positioning on many things - bloodthirsty, nationalistic, discriminatory, bigoted, etc. Literal, fundamentalist and apologistic/relatavistic interpretations all fail but I honestly believe that the dissent needs to come from within.

All can be questioned on faith (eg. How do you know there's a magic guy) but if we accept the principle of religious freedom, then practioners/believers simply need to obey the laws as they stand.

We don't need special laws for muslims - they're forbidden to rape, murder, steal, drive drunk, call a police officer a **** or go through a red light.

sp0rk said:
She actually posted a video on Junkee last night that addressed most of the above issues...
Junkee is an Australian popular culture and news website run by new media company, Junkee Media. It covers various topics including film, TV, politics and Internet culture. Its target demographic is 18- to 29-year-olds

No wonder I missed it..

manticle said:
Just like with conservative christianity, the most successful voices to offer rebellion and transgression/successful alternatives to Islam will need to come from within the muslim community.

Scriptures of all 3 main abrahamic texts are woeful in their positioning on many things - bloodthirsty, nationalistic, discriminatory, bigoted, etc. Literal, fundamentalist and apologistic/relatavistic interpretations all fail but I honestly believe that the dissent needs to come from within.
Then I'd suggest Majid Nawez and Ayaan Hirsi Ali would be good people to listen to.
And Q&A is certainly not the format.

NOT THE FORMAT!!!
#qanda

Anyone else a little uneasy about the idea we are supposed to learn more about Islam? Or shut the **** up.
I'm not interested in learning any more about religion. It can sicken me to be honest. I can bag them all, safely, maybe not Islam.
So its the greatest religion then? Enough to force you to have to learn about it?
Its too frustrating to watch that reality TV of the teething of modern multicultural democracy. Its all about a few key underlying things.
Cut through all the hyperbole crap and define it!

not that I can... :unsure:

If smoking was still allowed on TV, I can just imagine Lambie sucking down and blowing out half a pack of Winnie Reds in between her hostile raspy rants.

Danscraftbeer said:
Anyone else a little uneasy about the idea we are supposed to learn more about Islam? Or shut the **** up.
I'm not interested in learning any more about religion.

Yeah, Im with you
I prefer to make my opinions on current affairs based on my random naivety and what I hear on talk back radio

Its just WAY EASIER :)

Danscraftbeer said:
I'm not interested in learning any more about religion. It can sicken me to be honest. I can bag them all, safely, maybe not Islam.
So its the greatest religion then? Enough to force you to have to learn about it?
Its too frustrating to watch that reality TV of the teething of modern multicultural democracy. Its all about a few key underlying things.
Cut through all the hyperbole crap and define it!

not that I can... :unsure:
Nothing wrong with learning about something if you want to run your mouth off about it.

I don't understand wanting to remain ignorant about something you're vocally critical about.

My criticism is truly democratic. I do see human as the one species. I'm just cynical, over all, equally. :chug:

manticle said:
Nothing wrong with learning about something if you want to run your mouth off about it.

I don't understand wanting to remain ignorant about something you're vocally critical about.

hanson.jpg

All this nonsense just proves once again that the world would be a far better place if religion of any sort didn't exist at all. We wouldn't be having these discussions about banning headwear, or women being treated like shit because of some archaic religious moral compass, or being threatened with either physical harm or made up bullshit if we don't conform and believe in a fairy tale. The whole lot of it has held back humanity for as long as the shit has existed. Obviously you can't just get rid of it; it has to die by way of more people questioning it and/or adopting evidence based thinking, and eventually it will although not in any of our lifetimes. I would not be against banning indoctrination of children though, as that to me is nothing more than mental abuse.

Yes, but people fear threats and physical harm. If you get them to believe that some invisible deity can see every thing they do and will punish them now/later/in an after life, then they control their own behaviours. This takes less effort in controlling others by the people claiming connection to this deity. Self control by the powerless, if you will. Fear can control peoples actions and thoughts and control of others is power. The person with the connection to the source of the fear has control of others and therefore power. Power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts ultimately. Some religions are worse (or better depending at how you look at it) than others, but the system behind it is no different than some authoritarian States. It all comes down to political power at the end of the day. As has been stated before on this thread, religions will have to change from within, but attempts to ban cultural ways that people link with their religion will always fail and likely lead to some sort of violence.

This is why we enjoy democracy, because despite all it's failings, it adds so many checks and balances to those who would abuse their control and power over others. This is why we have the separation of powers (independence of Legislature/Courts/Authorities [police etc]), so they keep each other in check. In the Australian system we also have further checks/balance in the Legislature, in the way of Upper and Lower Houses (except you Qld. You always have to be different, but then you did end up with Jo!). The Upper House is supposed to keep an eye on the Lower House.

Even IF it got past both house's of Federal Parliament (which is extremely unlikely in the current Parliament), it would need policing and when someone was charged, it would be challenged in the courts, which would likely end with the law being thrown out. Victoria have adopted the UN Human rights charter, so Lambies legislation would not be able to be enforced in one of the most populace States in Australia. See where it's likely to end up. Yep and so do the Pollies and their advisers. It has NO CHANCE of making it past the first hurdle. Senator Lambie's proposed bill will likely fail and she probably knows it. Maybe she wants it to happen, but it is getting her a lot of publicity and support from those in her constituency that she relies on.

To bring it back on topic, this is also why Trump will become increasingly frustrated, as the checks and balances will start to hinder his ways. Even with all his alternate facts (They called it propaganda when Nazi Germany did it)

Trump already sounds tired. Ha, He is the apprentice now. That's what you get for fast results. Like lighting a fuse gets fast results.

Edit: stupid spell ckeck!!

I was watching the news ( the real news, not the fake news ) and a few clips of Trump

One in particular was when he was around a table full of leading women and he basically just cut them off, saying in effect " yeah, I have heard enough from you, shut up "

To me, he does not come across as very " Presidential" He is more arrogant and rude and this will get him into trouble. He is no diplomat that is for sure

Back