Higher Temps After Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

Reaction score
Hi All,

After having setup my fermentation fridge with a fridgemate I am now able to easily control fermentation temps for my ales at 19 degrees. I also like to leave my beer in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks which I find helps with clarity and overall finish (I do not rack to secondary).

As there is never enough beer to go around, I try and get the next batch going as soon as possible. :icon_drunk:

So what I do is ferment in the fridge for 1 week to get fermentation finished and then take fermenter #1 out and leave it on the shelf for another week.
I can then get another batch underway (fermenter #2) and stick this in the fridge.

At this time fermenter #1 can get up to 26 degrees in temp on the shelf. <_<

Being lazy I tell myself that the yeasties have done their thing after 1 week in the Fridge and won't be throwing out any off flavours due to the higher temp.

Am I fooling myself or does this logic stack up?

Cheers

John

Sometimes asfter I ferment my ales out at 18, I then set the fridgemate to 22 for a couple of day to ensure it was fully fermented out. Then drop it to 2 to allow it to clarify. I did find the ones I allowed to sit at 22 did end up slightly dryer and did result in a bighter beer; it may have just be me thinking that thou.

QldKev

Yeah John, that would be no biggie for me, could even rationalise it as an extended diacetyl rest! With ambient temperatures at the moment being much gentler to ale fermenting au naturel, I'd be even more comfortable with that, in fact I do a D-rest just like this quite often.
If the ambient temperature maximum is 26, there's a good chance of what is by then the beer perhaps hovering around maybe 22-24 anyway as the large thermal mass of a full fermenter helps to attenuate the air temperature fluctuations. Sitting it on a concrete floor or somewhere cooler in contact with another big thermal mass would be one way to help keep it more stable too, that would be something to keep in mind.

BTW, if the reason your fridge isn't big enough for two fermenters is because of the airlock (unless it is a bar fridge), perhaps try cling film instead? With the reduced overall height I've found two fermenters can be placed in many fridges this way. In my larger lager fridge I can fit four of them, which makes for happy days, particularly when lagering or crash chilling, while trying to be as energy efficient as possible but also keeping production at an acceptable level. B)

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Hi All,

After having setup my fermentation fridge with a fridgemate I am now able to easily control fermentation temps for my ales at 19 degrees. I also like to leave my beer in the fermenter for at least 2 weeks which I find helps with clarity and overall finish (I do not rack to secondary).

As there is never enough beer to go around, I try and get the next batch going as soon as possible. :icon_drunk:

So what I do is ferment in the fridge for 1 week to get fermentation finished and then take fermenter #1 out and leave it on the shelf for another week.
I can then get another batch underway (fermenter #2) and stick this in the fridge.

At this time fermenter #1 can get up to 26 degrees in temp on the shelf. <_<

Being lazy I tell myself that the yeasties have done their thing after 1 week in the Fridge and won't be throwing out any off flavours due to the higher temp.

Am I fooling myself or does this logic stack up?

Cheers

John

Don't think there would be issues with esters being produced as the majority of fermentation has taken place.

However..........as with all things brewing......................It Depends.....................If you go through your beer quickly there shouldn't be too many issues.

Two things............infections and shelf life. Infection occurs more readily at warmer temps, admittedly after a week there should be alcohol present in the beer, however Co2 will come out of suspension readily at warmer temps, no prob so long as the fermenter remains sealed and the Co2 can be contained protecting the beer.

Spoilage is another issue related to storage temp and occurs more quickly at warmer temps, rule of thumb is that the spoilage rate for a product doubles for every 10C increase in storage temp. Again alcohol percentage plays a part, but storage treatment of your beer shows in the end product.

Cheers,

Screwy

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

I like the thermal mass idea - leaving it on a concrete floor. I'll try that out.

Since I think & read a lot about brewing I do find myself focussing on the finer points of my process - I need to remind myself to relax and have a homebrew. :icon_cheers:

I suppose trying to improve the finer points is normal as we strive towards better & better beer...

Cheers

John

Some ideas to help solve your problem.

drink slower

get another fridge ( I got a mid sized one about 250 litres off e-bay for Xmas )

brew 'double batches'
I brew 28 litres at 8% abv and water down at bottling ( boiled and cooled water of course )
and get over 50 longnecks from a single fermenter, maybe doing this a few times will help build your stocks.
This is a trick a brew mates' father showed us.

only brew with the 2 fermenters from April to September when it won't matter much if it's it's in the fridge or not.

Latest posts

Back