High Temperature Hose Selection - Be Careful!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the original cleaner/sanitiser you used? and what conditions did you use it under?

I'm assuming you didn't just use the hose as bought.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one rather than having the above slanging match...I suspect there will be a simple answer that will be useful to everybody. I remember the original thread(s), but now you've isolated the problem, the issue might be able to be resolved...

Pat - would this brewer have been using the BIAB method perchance?? Maybe something else that comes in contact with the Wort leaching a flavour into the mash??

:ph34r:

RM

Foles - there's no attempt on my behalf to make you look like an idiot - my question is this

if there is something wrong with the hose in a broad sense as you and Pat & Neville are trying to represent it -

why are you the only person experiencing a problem?

If only you had been sold it I could understand - but that's not the case. There would be somewhere in the region of 200-300 brewers out there using it in their brewing. It has to be something only you are doing, as I said I'm using hosing off the same roll with no issues. I don't feel the need to try and explain your brewing problems and defend the hosing - the experience of too many others tells me that it must be related to something you specifically are or are not doing - what it is I haven't a clue.

Must be a bloody big roll!! :lol:

Foles has obviously done a brew since...??? Is the problem fixed???

im not weighing into the argument, but have a few questions on pvc v silicone
1. is the generally available for brewing PVC heat rated?
2. if so to what temp.
3. anyone buying hosing should consider what they are using it for (ie hot or cold liquid transfer).
4. If its not heat rated for almost boiling temps and thats what your using it for, wtf are you using it. wrong tool for the job.

say a normal 3 vessel AG setup runs a march pump and all vessels individual plumbed. whats that about 5m worth or tubing max? i recon $100 for silicone (assuming $20pm max) is worth the peice of mind for handling bloody hot liquid.

then again when no-chill, as discussed we throw hot liquid into a PVC cube. unless of course its a heat rated cube which costs $.
happy to be corrected on any points.

edit: and far be it for me to dictate what people use in their own setups.

I'm using tubing from beer belly throughout my brew stand and can't say I'm picking up any off flavours

The length of tubing that drains into the cube routinely gets boiled in the wort for the last 10-15 mins to sanitise

I did notice a slight plastic taint when using the tubing on my beer engine when beer was left in the line overnight - so I'll be using different tubing next time I rig the engine up

Cheers

4. If its not heat rated for almost boiling temps and thats what your using it for, wtf are you using it. wrong tool for the job.

When we were in the lab, we analysed a whole lot of different things that came through, and found sometimes that rated and unrated items could be identical...the rating was put in place just to enable a premium to be charged...

Not saying that that is or is not the case with this particular PVC tubing, but worth keeping in the back of the mind nonetheless...

Foles - there's no attempt on my behalf to make you look like an idiot - my question is this

if there is something wrong with the hose in a broad sense as you and Pat & Neville are trying to represent it -

why are you the only person experiencing a problem?

If only you had been sold it I could understand - but that's not the case. There would be somewhere in the region of 200-300 brewers out there using it in their brewing. It has to be something only you are doing, as I said I'm using hosing off the same roll with no issues. I don't feel the need to try and explain your brewing problems and defend the hosing - the experience of too many others tells me that it must be related to something you specifically are or are not doing - what it is I haven't a clue.

Ok - I appreciate your concern as nobody else appears to be having the problem. I also understand you have no idea what I am doing when I brew.

But whatever the cause, the hose is somehow related, because it was the ONLY variable I changed - and the mystery problem disappeared. Could have been luck, its hard to say for sure. But from my point of view, it is logical to conclude that my system might be better off without such a hose, becuase it is only rated for 65C whilst being exposed to near boiling wort - and that is a fact. Its a precaution if not a no-brainer.

Good news Foles... you must be relieved now... Glad you kept going I possibly would of given up after so many brews.

glad that replacing the hose has fixed the brew. That piece of hose is obviously the culprit.
I'd say that the hose was most likely contaminated somehw though, plastic issues would result in most people using hose from the same roll having similar issues due to the temperature rating of the hose or manufacturing defects with it.

But whatever the cause, the hose is somehow related, because it was the ONLY variable I changed - and the mystery problem disappeared. Could have been luck, its hard to say for sure. But from my point of view, it is logical to conclude that my system might be better off without such a hose, becuase it is only rated for 65C whilst being exposed to near boiling wort - and that is a fact. Its a precaution if not a no-brainer.
You are correct up to the word 'because'.

Your system would be better off without a stinky piece of hose that is possibly damaged, possibly tainted, and possibly gross. You can't make the cause-effect leap to say that all PVC hose is bad without replacing your manky hose with another piece of PVC and obtaining the same result. Considering the number of brewers that use it successfully, I would doubt that experiment would work.

What you've said is equivalent to; "I was having trouble with my brews - I always add a handfull of cascade hops rolled in dog crap. I fixed the problem by swapping over to clean amarillo hops. Message: Don't use cascade hops."

Your system would be better off without a stinky piece of hose that is possibly damaged, possibly tainted, and possibly gross. You can't make the cause-effect leap to say that all PVC hose is bad without replacing your manky hose with another piece of PVC and obtaining the same result. Considering the number of brewers that use it successfully, I would doubt that experiment would work.

What you've said is equivalent to; "I was having trouble with my brews - I always add a handfull of cascade hops rolled in dog crap. I fixed the problem by swapping over to clean amarillo hops. Message: Don't use cascade hops."
But I like Cascade Hops, are you saying they are no good?

can the piece of hose in question be sent to another brewer, who can transfer some wort with it - then see what happens?

I think my point was clear & simple in that I would rather use a hose rated for the job, and I'm finding that this works for me. Nothing anybody says on this forum is 100% conclusive, but we isolated one item of equipment - fixed it and that was that. Then we discovered that the piece of equipment changed out was not suitably rated for the application. Being told that it "might be/generally is" ok despite being rated for 65C and not worth the risk to me. I'm not going to argue about how it could have been dirty etc. The hose didnt look or smell like wort, hops, beer or anything. Just smelt like harsh plastic and was discouloured a bit. And my beer was not infected, it was harshly tainted.

Your cascade hops analogy is a joke. Those who like the hose, keep using it. I'm using silicon - everyone is happy.

I roll my amarillo in dog crap. Should I be doing it with my cascade instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back