High Temperature Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
Ok, ive looked through 20 of the latest pages on this forum now as I dont want to ask questions that have already been answered and I cant find this one....

Why is it bad for the beer to be fermented at a higher temperature?? I cant get mine below 23d and my last one was up around 26d.
The general consensus on these forums is that I should try to keep it at 18d.
I might try using the ice bottles in a circle around the fermenter to get it down.

the short answer is that certains yeast, at higher temperatures, become stressed and throw out different flavours.. some good, some bad..

ferment an ale using US05 at 18 and another one at 28 and side by side taste... You'll notice..

higher temps can cause undesirable flavours (generally yeast derived esters) in you beer. High temps can also contribute to 'hot' alcohols also known as fusels (nail polish type flavours or very evident alcohol taste).

Quite often the yeast esters will be quite fruity (often banana).

For mosts ales 18-20deg is a good target to aim for.

Cheers SJ

I ferment in the laundry sink with ice bottles. 20degress all day...

You'll find that if the pack says "ferment between 15 and 24 degrees" then you don't really want it above 24 degrees for any lengthy periods.

When the weather man says that tomorrow the temperature will be between 17 and 26 degrees, and factoring in your house's ability to stabilise temperature a lot - these sorts of ambient temperatures are fine for making ales.

At dawn, in your laundry, it's probably about 18 degrees. The middle of the day, about 25 (considering the above forecast), so on average your brew is exposed to around 22. Add a couple of degrees to that because the yeast generate heat and you've got 24 - which is the recommended maximum.

If you want and fruity ale then 22 is a great temperature to brew at. If you want a bland ale that tastes like a lager, then by all means keep it at 18.

Towards the end of the ferment I've heard that Aussie Lagers are fermented at 18.

I make delicious ales in the mid twenties - dry hopped with fruity hops and heaps of yeast-derived esters. They're great. Ale yeasts do not need to be kept below 20, that's bullshit.

28? No. The common dried ale yeasts mean it when they say don't go over 24C (ambient - brew at 26+). Don't worry about ester production at this temperature because all you'll be able to taste is heavy alcohols and they taste like diesel ... or homebrew.

Read the packet's advice. 2c.

If you want a bland ale that tastes like a lager, then by all means keep it at 18.
The budding novice brewer might also like to learn that you can combat this phenomena by actually including some sort of ingredients in the brew. Again, top-notch advice, Nick. Keep it coming.

Ok, ive looked through 20 of the latest pages on this forum now as I dont want to ask questions that have already been answered and I cant find this one....

Why is it bad for the beer to be fermented at a higher temperature?? I cant get mine below 23d and my last one was up around 26d.
I might try using the ice bottles in a circle around the fermenter to get it down.

The temperature you ferment at depends on the style of beer you are brewing.
For instance
Ale fermentation (using and ale yeast) average range 18-22c
Lagers average 10-12c (using a lager yeast) some funky belgians might go to 25 or even higher. Yeast themselves prefer a higher temperature but the beer quality suffers

The easiest way to make the whole weather thing go away is to ferment in a temp controlled fridge.

Also try a wet towell wrapped around the fermenter keep it wet and in a breeze (fan?) works best on low humidity days. You may want some sanitiser in the water as the towel can go mouldy.

From White labs-

The optimum temperature for yeast growth is 32 c. Yeast cell death occurs above 38 c. Why then, dont we ferment our beers then at 32 C, decreasing the time that it takes to make beer? Why do we make yeast work slower? Because what is best for yeast, is not best for beer. As they grow and multiply, yeast produces many compounds, the most noticeable of which are esters. As the temperature fermentation rises, more yeast growth occurs, and consequently more esters are produced. At 32 C yeast produce so much acetaldehyde (which tastes like apples) that the beer becomes undrinkable. The optimum ale fermentation temperature has been found to be 20 C (18-22). This temperature strikes the best balance between yeast growth and ester levels for most ale strains. For Hefeweizen-style beers, some brewers like to ferment above 26 C, which increases the level of banana- flavored esters produced by these strains. Most ale strains are unable to ferment or grow at 12 C, which is the most common lager fermentation temperature. This fermentation temperature greatly reduces the ester-forming ability of most lager strains, creating the clean flavour associated with lager beers. Ester levels are kept low, placing the emphasis on malt and hop flavors.

I would think the part of the post you deleted would confirm that.

You'll find that if the pack says "ferment between 15 and 24 degrees" then you don't really want it above 24 degrees for any lengthy periods.

When the weather man says that tomorrow the temperature will be between 17 and 26 degrees, and factoring in your house's ability to stabilise temperature a lot - these sorts of ambient temperatures are fine for making ales.

At dawn, in your laundry, it's probably about 18 degrees. The middle of the day, about 25 (considering the above forecast), so on average your brew is exposed to around 22. Add a couple of degrees to that because the yeast generate heat and you've got 24 - which is the recommended maximum.

If you want and fruity ale then 22 is a great temperature to brew at. If you want a bland ale that tastes like a lager, then by all means keep it at 18.

Towards the end of the ferment I've heard that Aussie Lagers are fermented at 18.

I make delicious ales in the mid twenties - dry hopped with fruity hops and heaps of yeast-derived esters. They're great. Ale yeasts do not need to be kept below 20, that's bullshit.

28? No. The common dried ale yeasts mean it when they say don't go over 24C (ambient - brew at 26+). Don't worry about ester production at this temperature because all you'll be able to taste is heavy alcohols and they taste like diesel ... or homebrew.

Read the packet's advice. 2c.

How do you know what temp it is at dawn in his laundry ???? :lol: Diesel beer? Below 20 bullshit??? Lagers at 18c??
GONG

The temperature you ferment at depends on the style of beer you are brewing.
For instance
Ale fermentation (using and ale yeast) average range 18-22c
Lagers average 10-12c (using a lager yeast) some funky belgians might go to 25 or even higher. Yeast themselves prefer a higher temperature but the beer quality suffers

The easiest way to make the whole weather thing go away is to ferment in a temp controlled fridge.

Also try a wet towell wrapped around the fermenter keep it wet and in a breeze (fan?) works best on low humidity days. You may want some sanitiser in the water as the towel can go mouldy.

From White labs-

The optimum temperature for yeast growth is 32 c. Yeast cell death occurs above 38 c. Why then, dont we ferment our beers then at 32 C, decreasing the time that it takes to make beer? Why do we make yeast work slower? Because what is best for yeast, is not best for beer. As they grow and multiply, yeast produces many compounds, the most noticeable of which are esters. As the temperature fermentation rises, more yeast growth occurs, and consequently more esters are produced. At 32 C yeast produce so much acetaldehyde (which tastes like apples) that the beer becomes undrinkable. The optimum ale fermentation temperature has been found to be 20 C (18-22). This temperature strikes the best balance between yeast growth and ester levels for most ale strains. For Hefeweizen-style beers, some brewers like to ferment above 26 C, which increases the level of banana- flavored esters produced by these strains. Most ale strains are unable to ferment or grow at 12 C, which is the most common lager fermentation temperature. This fermentation temperature greatly reduces the ester-forming ability of most lager strains, creating the clean flavour associated with lager beers. Ester levels are kept low, placing the emphasis on malt and hop flavors.

THIS is perfect info for newbs, and some experienced brewers. Tops.

Screwy

Check out some strain specific temp and ester profiles for different strains at
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain.cfm

The budding novice brewer might also like to learn that you can combat this phenomena by actually including some sort of ingredients in the brew. Again, top-notch advice, Nick. Keep it coming.

How do you add esters with your ingredients list? Do you even make beer, bum?

Pyaedobrewer - find out the temperature profile for an aussie lager fermentation.

Pyaedobrewer - find out the temperature profile for an aussie lager fermentation.

I made an APA and it fermented around that 25C range which ended up tasting like bad cidery apples.

Whether or not everyone thinks it's right or right. I like malt flavours and I like hop flavours and when I make a beer at 18C it turns out really nice.

What are you saying I'm missing out on by doing this?

Sure I do. I just happen to use more than the palest malt I can lay my hands on and hop additions so small Fosters would call me a tight-arse. Why do you ask? You're a fool. I click "View this post" no more!

You could also point out that prominent esters being more to style for ales is not the defining character of ales - but you wouldn't bother really because you couldn't even kick sense in to the fool's head.

Bum - I'm still waiting for your advice on how I can brew an ale cold and add the esters in my ingredients list...

If esters aren't the defining character of ales then I'm the crack on a monkey's bum. An ale without esters is getting very close to being a lager IMO.

Back