High Temp - Food Grade Hosing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
After having a six month break from brewing (after 6 infections in a row) I am getting back into the saddle.

Can anyone recommend an affordable source of high temp - food grade hosing? I ditched the old tubing as it was a bit nasty looking.

It is it be used between my HLT -> Mash Tun -> Kettle -> Plate chiller -> Fermenter.

I have done a phone around and the cheapest I can find is $24/m

I have used PVC hosing from bunnies but it goes soft quickly and is only rated to 50degC.

Anyone? Prefer a local Canberra source so I can brew this weekend!!

....mate i use the blue drinking water (silicon based/lined) hose for mine and dont have any dramas....

...are you going to tommorow nites meeting .....???

....cheers, Hargie/Downundamutha/Bro Cougar.....

....edit.....hose from Bunnings....

I use the blue drinking water hose from bunnings as well lessthan $30 for 20m. Sure it gets a bit soft..... but no dramas if you keep the kinks out.

Alternatively craftbrewer sells silicon hose I think its about $12/m

1/2" silicon hose is the perfect choice. Available through me & other outlets.
No problem getting to you before the weekend, if ordered by tomorrow.

cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

i wouldnt try my luck using that blue hose for hot liquids, silicon all the way

Hi,

I'd steer clear of the blue hose for hot wort. Its fine for cooler temps but becomes a pain in the butt when things get hot. It gets so soft that it cannot hold its own weight without kinking. A real problem when you have it on the outlet of a pump. :(

I've since gone with silicone tubing for the hot side and the blue stuff for other areas. You don't necessarily need a lot of the stuff either if you plan things out. I have two pieces totally around 3 metres. One long piece will go from the output of the pump to the top of the kettle and the shorter one goes from the bottom of the kettle to the pump. I've found that I can get all of the hot side stuff done with the two lengths. Ok, I have to connect and disconnect them a couple of times but thats not a big deal. Even if I had a pile of the silicone tubing I'd still have to connect and disconnect the stuff anyway.

hth,

gary

1. Blue Reinforced Drinking Water Hose (water can remain in hose without tainting) works well for simple systems gets a little limp at normal Mash Out/Sparge temps.

2. Clear Reinforced Water Contact Hose (water can contact the hose without tainting) works well for hermes/Rims systems and copes with temps above 90C. This hose is fine if using hose clamps and hose barb fittings.

3. Clear Silicone hose ( water can remain in contact at high temps and for long periods without tainting) is best for high temps, and works well with all types of fittings including snap on brass. This type of hose provides good visibility of wort and is easy to clean.

The price of each is relative to the quality, funny how hard it is to get something "good and cheap".

The blue reinforced hose available from Bunnings seems to be of a lesser quality to what Clark Rubber sells, They sell the clear reinforced for about $5 per meter.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back