High Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hi all,
Put my second brew down tonight:
Coopers Sparkling Can
Can of LIght Malt
300g of dextrose
500g of light dry malt

Took a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast and it read 1.072

Am a little worried about this?

Any suggestions on what I should do or just let it bubble away and check in a day or two what it reads

Any info would be great

Cheers

Robbo

OK,
after reading a few posts and that it could possibly be that there was sugar in my tap, i have re done my reading but still got 1.052 which to me seems higher than what it should be,
anybody with any soloutions?

Cheers

Robbo

How big was the can of light malt you added (1 or 1.5kg)?
What was the volume of you brew?

If it was 1.5kg you added a total of 3.2kg of liquid malt, 500g dry malt and 300g dextrose, which in a 23L brew would give a SG of around 1057 or a bit lower. 1052 seems fine to me.

Bruce

I second that comment...Bruce!
In 23 litres, Beersmith tells me that 300g Dextrose, 500g DME, 1.7 kg Kit LME + 1.5kg LME, you're expecting 1.056.

That's a lot of additives for a kit beer. Don't be surprised if the kit yeast doesn't handle it and you get a sweet beer with some unfermented malt in it.

I'd suggest pitching 2 yeast packages.

Seth

Robbo
The recipe is the one on the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit. The 1050 + OG is right and the yeast included in the kit wont have any trouble.
I sell lots of these and it is a cracking good brew, it should finish up around 1012 1014 ABV will be close to 5.25%.

Enjoy

MHB

Is it ok to pitch the second yeast 24 hours later?
I have another sparkling can there that I can pitch so its the same yeast and then will buy a new one for my other can.
Its been fermenting for 12 hours and there is a bubbles every 10 seconds...

What should I do?

Cheers

Robbo

Hi Robbo,

I've done sparkling ale a few times with just the one sachet of yeast. You've used the exact recipe on the can so surely Coopers give you enough yeast.
My OG for this brew was 1055, so your 1052 sounds spot on.
A bubble every 10 seconds also sounds spot on for the first day, should speed up a bit tomorrow. What is the temperature? It's a bit cold this week to be doing an ale unless you live in Cairns.

What should you do? You should keep it warm, about 19 deg C, for the next 7 days, and congratulate yourself on starting a great brew.

Hi Robbo,

I've done sparkling ale a few times with just the one sachet of yeast. You've used the exact recipe on the can so surely Coopers give you enough yeast.
My OG for this brew was 1055, so your 1052 sounds spot on.
A bubble every 10 seconds also sounds spot on for the first day, should speed up a bit tomorrow. What is the temperature? It's a bit cold this week to be doing an ale unless you live in Cairns.

What should you do? You should keep it warm, about 19 deg C, for the next 7 days, and congratulate yourself on starting a great brew.

Cheers Mate,
Bubbling was furious for the last few days and has slowed down now, have my heater Belt on it so has been around the 22 deg C for most of it, still trying to perfect keeping it constant.

Have drilled my Keg fridge and Gas will arrive today, not home for the weekend but will have beer gassed and ready to drink next weekend, I cant wait!!!

Cheers for all your help everyone

Robbo

Hey all,
thought I would update you and let you know, I kegged it on the weekend with a final SG of 1.014.
so will let it sit for a week and then chill it down for gassing.

Cheers

Robbo

I did a version of this kit over the winter

kit, 1.5 kg can light malt,
750 g dry malt, 250 g BE2
15 g POR hops boiled 30 min, 15 g boiled 0 min ( flameout )
in a little 2 litre boil with a few spoonful of malt

All in 23 litres, ONE sachet of kit yeast.
OG 1062, FG 1017.

FOUR months in the bottle.

Result - magnificent, perfect, best sparkling ale ever.
It also has that trademark residual sweetness of the commercial offering.

After all my worrying mine came out pretty good, was more than impressed, and the Keg didnt last long, lucky I have a few long necks stashed away for a few months time!!

Cheers

Robbo

Back