high final gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louistoo

Reaction score
Hi folks, I just brewed my first non kit, extract brew. The recipe said from 27l should get 23l but I got only slightly less than 20l in fermenter. So wasn't too surprised when og was 1.059 anyway have taken a few sg's and seems to have finished at 1.018. So my question is should I be surprised its as high as this? Beer smells and tastes pretty fine...!

What was your recipe and yeast used? How long in fermenter and how far apart your readings?

Recipe from Greg Hughes book Home Brew Beer; Amarillo single hop pale Ale. Used US05 and has been fermenting for 15days. Took a sg yesterday and a couple of days earlier.

With the higher OG and the time so far in fermenter then it may well be done. My last 2 brews with that US-05 have finished at between 1.016 and 1.018

Has had enough time to clean up after itself so I would go ahead and bottle

Yep Just finished bottling it up this arvo. Next time should I add some water to fermenter to get it up to 22-23l? that would bring gravity down to the target of 1.050 or so wouldn't it?

FG's a bit high for my liking, the yeast should've been able to go lower than that. If I were you I'd be opening one regularly to make sure they aren't over carbed

luggy said:
FG's a bit high for my liking, the yeast should've been able to go lower than that. If I were you I'd be opening one regularly to make sure they aren't over carbed
The FG is fine . You got to remember with higher original gravity comes higher fg as the yeast will only attenuate to around 75% some yeast have less attenuation other yeast have a higher attenuation .

louistoo said:
Yep Just finished bottling it up this arvo. Next time should I add some water to fermenter to get it up to 22-23l? that would bring gravity down to the target of 1.050 or so wouldn't it?
Yes.

SG * L = OG * (L+Addition)

So 1.055 * 20L = 55 * 20 == 1100 points

So, if you want 1.050,

1100 / 50 = 22L

And in this case you would add 2L to go from 1.055 @ 20L to 1.050 @ 22L

This basically compensates for higher than expected evaporation. Should make minimal difference to bitterness.

I just fermented a 1.060 wort down to 1.008 using the same yeast, I'd be worried

I have been a bit worried, but gravity hadn't changed for 3-4 days and temp was stable at 18c for 12 days and 19-20c for last 3-4days so don't think it was going to attenuate any further. fingers crossed!

From my limited experience my extract brews always finished higher than my current all grains brews. Most of my extract brews finished at 1.016 ish for pale ales. With my current mash schedule I usually have similar brews finish around 1.010 - 1.012. As long as you have consistent readings for 3 or so hydro samples I'd say it's done.

*edit - spelling

Back