High Fg Reading?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
It seems that my Draught FWK has finished fermenting.
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.009
Ferment temp: 18*C
Ferment time 5-6 days.

I took a sample last night and gave it a shake and left it to warm up etc... and it read 1.009.
I then left the sample at room temp overnight and checked it again this morning. There was no sign of any additional fermentation and the reading was still 1.009.

Does this seem a bit high?
From what I have read it seems most standard beers come down to around 1.003 or so. I am upset because my FG reading doesn't make it into the shaded "beer" region of my hydrometer... :lol:

I have checked the hydrometer in water and it reads bang on 1.000 by the way.

Cheers,
Joel

Hi Guys,
Ferment time 5-6 days.

I took a sample last night and gave it a shake and left it to warm up etc... and it read 1.009.
I then left the sample at room temp overnight and checked it again this morning. There was no sign of any additional fermentation and the reading was still 1.009.

From what I have read it seems most standard beers come down to around 1.003 or so. I am worried because my FG reading doesn't make it into the shaded "beer" region of my hydrometer... :lol:

Cheers,
Joel

If its steady at 1.009 after another 24 hours, it is ready to bottle.

Some beers will finish higher, some lower. It may be a bit high, but the fact it has dropped from 48 down to 09, I would be content to bottle if steady over a 24 - 48 hour period.

If you are really worried, do a couple in PET's keep a little warmer while carbonating and give a squeeze to see how they are travelling.

Edit: You could rack it to secondary and see if it drops a bit more over the next few days, I know others leave in fermentor for 2 weeks regardless of FG reading.... 2c. ;)

Hi Guys,
Ferment time 5-6 days.

From what I have read it seems most standard beers come down to around 1.003 or so. I am upset because my FG reading doesn't make it into the shaded "beer" region of my hydrometer... :lol:

Cheers,
Joel

I would think it is done... that is around 80% attenuation... so depending on the yeast you used, that should be about right.

FG is very dependent on the fermentability of the wort... a beer getting down to 1.003 would be a very dry beer, so the wort would have had to of been mashed to be highly fermented or else a lot of adjunct such as table sugar used to get into that realm.

1.009 is very resasonable... not uncommon - depending on style/wort/yeast - for beers to finish around 1014 or so.

Don't stress too much about the markings on the hydro that say beer, wine, etc - just worry about the SG markings and look at what the suggested attenuation is for your yeast. If you look to be in the ballpark and your readings are stable over several days, then you will be fine.

Bottle, let it condition and enjoy.

Brendo

1003 is a fairly dry beer, I doubt many peaople would want a beer to finish that low? 1009 seems to be alright from what I've read over the last coulpe of days about the FWK's. Still, +1 on leaving it for another 24-48 hrs to be sure to be sure

I would say as long as it is steady (same fg) over 2 days your ok.
most of my brew finish 1.006 to 1.012
cheers

Cool, thanks guys.

I'll crash it tomorrow if it stays steady :)

Edit: Oh look, I'm a kit master now... :ph34r:

:D

My last batch (CPA, 1kg DME, 2x cascade hops, CPA farmed yeast) finished at 1015

The batch before that (Coopers Lager, 1kg DME, 500g dex, US-05) finished at 1018

The batch before that (Coopers real ale, 500g dex, 500g DME, US-05) finished at 1005

I wouldnt worry about 1009.

I wouldn't have called 1.009 high at all. Stability is probably more important than a final number.

Most of my cuurent brews finish around 1.020 (admittedly they start between 1.080 and 1.090)

If your trying the fresh wort cube, go the Amarilo Ale. it is brillant

Sounds good. I need to build up my stocks as I am just starting and FWKs seem like a great way to do it, to begin with at least.
Just did a quick search, is it "Brewers Selection Amarillo Ale"?

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I feel much more confident now.
This is my first-born, so you can understand me being a little paranoid and over protective I hope... ;)

be happy with the FG of 1009 for a K&K. Once you go all grain, an all base malt beer starting around 1.045-50 you will usually get a FG of 1.012-14

Its just aht you have allot more simple sugars which ferment completly out. you dont want to go drier than that personally. Be happy with hte higher FG, it will give your beer abit more body and be less cidery!

I don't think I've ever had a beer finish under 1.010 come to think of it.

I was reading something on this the other day that mentioned if your beer is a quarter of where it started and hasn't changed after a couple of days, don't jump to the conclusion that it's a stuck ferment.

My FWK Late Season Amber finished up at 1.010.

Tasted beut BTW.

Back