Hieniken

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob6699

Reaction score
hey im gunna make a 60 lt hieniken clone i was thinkin
3 cans of coopers euo lager
1 kg light dry malt
2.5 kg be02
unsure on hops
unsure on yeast

and cos this will fill three kegs i was thimkin ill put 100ml of lemon juice in 1keg, 100ml lime juice in 1 and leave 1 as normal what do you reckon?

Regarding the lemon/lime... ew? Would you put lemon or lime in real Heineken?

Anyway, traditionally you'd use Hallertauer or something similar, but generally just for bittering so you probably won't need to add any more (the tins will have enough). Use the yeasts that come with the tins, all three of them. They are a proper lager yeast and will do fine.

Most importantly, you need to ferment very cool, 10C. Otherwise, you just won't get anywhere near a lager.

If you're used to drinking the imported stuff, you may notice your brew lacking in the skunking department. This is a good thing.

pisswreck. can i suggest a few things (tough luck if you say no :) )

1. why not m,ake a smaller batch first until you have the recipe down pat.
2. please dont use lemon or lime. it wont help you.
3. why not brew something thats not a clone? i beleive you'll find that you'll never be wanting to make clones of megaswill again.
4. if you want to make a clone (which is fine), do some reading on what sort of flavours make that beer. there are a few heineken receipes floating around. heres a link to the search for heineken on AHB
5. +1 on lager yeast. but even then you have options. probably a clean lager. maybe just a saflager.
6. a minor issue. learn to spell heineken.
7. hallertau hops will give you becks flavours, tettanger is probably your best bet
8. heres a generic basic heini recipe
Generic Larger (Heini)
1.7kg generic can of Lager (or you could use a tin of coopers euro lager)
600g LDME [light dried malt extract]
200g Dextrose
200g Maltodextron [could be replaced by LDME or carapils]
15g Tettnanger hops (throw all into fermentor after boil - ie dont strain it).
Saflager yeast

Edit: I take no responsibility for the above recipe. i personally recon its a piss poor recipe but will probably get you close to heini.

I haven't tried the euro lager, but tried the old bavarian lager twice and hated it both times.
If you can get to a LHBS, get the following:
Morgans Blue Mountain Lager - substitute for eurolager
Extra Pale Malt Extract - substitute for BE2

Lovely.

Latest posts

Back