Hibiscus Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asher's ANHC Hibiscus Belgian Blonde No 2
--------------------------------------------------------

Batch Size (L): 55.00
Wort Size (L): 55.00
Total Grain (kg): 13.80
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 15.96
Anticipated SRM: 5.7
Anticipated IBU: 25.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
----------------------------

79.7% Weyermann Pilsner
9.4% Cane Sugar (add to kettle at start of boil - adjust amount to hit pre-boil gravity if efficiency off)
7.2% Weyermann Wheat Malt Light
3.6% Bairds Amber malt

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.70 14.4 60 min.
55.00 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 3.70 11.3 60 min.

Yeast
-------------
Your favourite Belgian Strain. - Ferment low to minimise ester production and produce clean alcohols

Mash Schedule
-----------------------
Mashed at 66deg for about an hour with a HERMS Mash out
Single Infusion : Liquor to grist ratio of 3:1

Notes
--------

Hibiscus Beer
- 1000g of Hibiscus sabdariffa Get it here online flowers added at flame out.
- Steep for 10mins.
- Whirlpool
- Pump to fermenter through CFC

Stop. Look. Smell. Taste. Enjoy!

Asher

You - Asher - are a freaking legend.....cheers!

Hendo

Some more interesting facts about Hibiscus Beer for you:

LOWER YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE & CONTROLL CHOLESTEROL
Studies have shown hibiscus beer(well actually tea...) to be beneficial in lowering blood pressure and may control cholesterol. To the point if fact that it should be avoided by those with low blood pressure.

HIGH IN VITAMIN C
The beer is rich in vitamin C that helps to fight cold and other infections, by strengthening immune system of the body.

ANTIOXIDANT LEVELS SIMILAR TO RED
If used in similar concentration to my recipe it has antioxidant levels similar to red wine. These include antioxidants like citric acid and ascorbic acid, that aid in protecting body cells. Thus the beer protects the body against bacterial attack and also increases defense mechanisms against infections. It is both antimicrobial and anti-carcinogenic in nature.

LOOSE WEIGHT
Hibiscus Beer contains an enzyme inhibitor which blocks the production of amylase. Amylase is an enzyme that breaks down complex sugars and starches. Enjoying a glass of hibiscus beer after a meal will reduce the absorption of dietary carbohydrates and will assist in weight loss.

PLUS
Regular consumption of hibiscus beer will help prevent constipation and bladder infection.

So to sum up. It is the 'ultimate' beer for the ciggy smoking, sedentary alco :lol:
Hibiscus_beer_and_desert.JPG

asher - how does it compare to the Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Rose D'hibiscus? Id say by the look of your grian bill that yours is a little less sweet?

even with the flowersd costing $24 a kilo its still cheaper than making a strawberry wheat.

im also interested as to whether or not youve played around with putting som of the floweres in secondary for extra kick?

asher - how does it compare to the Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Rose D'hibiscus? Id say by the look of your grian bill that yours is a little less sweet?

even with the flowersd costing $24 a kilo its still cheaper than making a strawberry wheat.

im also interested as to whether or not youve played around with putting som of the floweres in secondary for extra kick?

Having been lucky enough to taste this at the dinner - I can say it was a kick-arse beer and certainly didn't lack anything in the flavour coming through - the balance was really quite good as is.

Depends on where you get your strawberries...
I pay $5 for a box of jamming strawberries and get between 3-5kgs...

Depends on where you get your strawberries...
I pay $5 for a box of jamming strawberries and get between 3-5kgs...
ok yes true. in melb i havent seen prices that cheap. last time i made your straw beer i paid a lot more than $25 for my 3kg :(

ok yes true. in melb i havent seen prices that cheap. last time i made your straw beer i paid a lot more than $25 for my 3kg :(
I'm lucky to have markets with several growers stands up here.
This season particularly there was a glut on strawberries. I got around 5.5kg for my $5 this year instead of the usual 3/3.5...

Related to the topic I enjoyed the Hibiscus beer very much. Had a lovely tart finish that I enjoy in a fruit beer.

Asher , thanks for the recipe .. I am digging the thought of it .. and will def be having a go at it .. then adjusting to wifes taste !! looks like it would be a nice summery beer !!

thanks again!!

Matt

if im not mistaken The Monk Brewery in Fremantle, WA has a drink that combines their Wit with the Hibiscus and one more ingredient.

They call it: The Hibeerscus.

Brewed a wheat/weiss/wit mongrel as per the link below.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...mp;#entry711258

Did a small trial using 1L of the weiss (after 1 week in primay) mixed with some hibiscus tea (handful of dried flowers, boiling H2O, 30g of dex) and left for 2 more weeks.

Cracked the bottle tonight

5225595943_513fdd1282.jpg

Ummm.....wow......hibiscus is made for this beer. Tart, hint of rasberry, convert even the most staunch non-beer drinkers. Nice colour.

Will brew a full batch next year. Do it......do it now!

Stew

Yes freakin' please. That looks gorgeous. I was eyeing your wheat ******* earlier. I think I'll have to brew one when I can get hold of some decently priced extract.

Cheers for sharing the recipe, Asher.
Shared this with the missus last night. What an amazing beer! On the to-do list.

Cheers John.

winkle said:
Rosellas will give you a similar result.
(No not the parrot) <_<
I do a seasonal Rosella Wit that is ok if a little tart, boil the rosellas down to a syrup for late kettle and secondary additions.
I think you'll find the common name wild hibiscus and rosella both refer to the same plant (i.e. - Hibiscus sabdariffa).

You can buy the seeds cheaply and the plant flowers profusely with little care. The mrs is currently filling my freezer from only a small patch (less then a m2 planted with 10 dwarf rosella's) I planted in the veggie garden, so a cheaper alternative is to grow your own (dependant on climate, infrastructure or gardening prowess) and make your own syrup by simmering them in a water/sugar solution.

cheers,
Al

I may have miscontrued this statement. Apologies to winkle if that was the point you were making (re: rosellas giving a similar result to wild hibiscus).

Rosella time again. I may have to make this.
I wonder what weight of fresh will be needed for a 25 litre batch?

Nice, I made a tagetes beer last year. Tagetes are a kind of edible flower (mostly - check your variety, there'll be information about it on the net) with an amazing strong sweet pineapply aroma, often used in salads or, in traditional South American brewing to add flavour and aroma. I just chucked a bunch in at flame out too. Turns out the aroma was so strong that almost none of it was lost in the heat or during the primary fermentation, and although it tended to be lost after the brews got a bit old - like, a few months - it left behind a very attractive spiciness. One of my best beers last year

Latest posts

Back