Hi There - from Freo W.A.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopfan

Reaction score
Hi There Guys,
A hello from a previous forum lurker. I have posted a "wet hopping" topic in general recipe discussion yesterday, but thought it might be courteous for a g`day and intro.

I`ve been brewing nearly 1 year now, 27 brews, combination of extract only, partials, and the lazy mans method - fresh wort kits. Thinking about trying all grain, but yeah...... still thinking.

Dove straight in to kegs with a 3 font kegerator setup.
Have had some hits & misses as you`d expect from a beginner, but the enjoyment & the never ending learning easily counteracts the misses so all good.

I don't think I`ve saved $$ yet over buying commercial beer just yet (due to some reject batches & the stating the obvious - set up costs) but saving cash was never my real motivation anyway.

The best thing apart from having my brews on tap, is my recent adoption of temp control of my fermentation process. I've got a fridge that I can ferment 2 x 23l batches at the same time. Locally sourced s/hand fridge $50, temp controller $65 and heat pad $40 (on sale).
I lean the heat pad in the corner of the fridge, set my temp and forget....AND an added bonus - I can cold store up to 4 corneys when not fermenting. This whole shebang is highly recommended in my opinion!

I find I`m producing cleaner tasting beer, hardly any of that homebrew twang taste I was getting early on. But in fairness, experience AND being able to cold crash now also helps too (my taste buds anyway).

on tap : 3 x variations of an American IPA (all 3 are extract kits)
brewing: 1 x 23lt Partial - Sierra Nevada clone, in which I intend to double dry hop (or maybe wet hop)
1 x 23lt extract kit - Black Rock APA, also intend to double dry hop

I`m not the sort to rant much but Id like to point out to other new (like me) & budding brewers out there trying to save a dollar, make sure you support your local brew shops/suppliers if you can. There`s too much knowledge worth gold from our brew supply friends to ignore
The dollar or two you might save at the supermarket or whatever is just not worth it. The big supers simply don't give a shit about the home brewing industry. (Okay - rant over)

Any comments regards my wet hopping plan are very welcome (in General Recipe Discussion)

cheers n beers
Grant.

G'day, Grant.

Three taps of IPA? Pretty sure you're crazy... I like it.

There's a great bunch of West Aussies on the forum as I'm sure you'll get to know.

I also love your passion to support our valuable local home brew shops, saving a dollar in the short run often costs you ten down the track!

EDIT;
my topic re wet hopping is in General Brewing Techniques
not General Recipe Discussion , sorry.

yeah 3 x IPA`s on tap... + 2 brewing - I guess you could say I`m craving the hop hit at the moment. They are similar, but just enough to be interestingly different though.

Feral hop hog being one of my fav`s

I've got plenty of dark beer on tap so have been buying IPAs to fill my hop craving. Had the Amager - Gluttony IIPA last night. It was fantastic!

I understand the love for Hop Hog too, been a staple of mine for a long time now.

If you're thinking about going to all grain you should try and make it to someone's brew day. I only have six months experience so I'm still a noob, but you're welcome to join me.

Welcome Hopfan. The WA bunch on AHB as Nev said, can be far and few between but we exist. If you love hops you'll fit right in...actually even if you don't you'll still fit in as we are a band of misfits who all love brewing beer!

StalkingWilbur said:
I've got plenty of dark beer on tap so have been buying IPAs to fill my hop craving. Had the Amager - Gluttony IIPA last night. It was fantastic!

I understand the love for Hop Hog too, been a staple of mine for a long time now.

If you're thinking about going to all grain you should try and make it to someone's brew day. I only have six months experience so I'm still a noob, but you're welcome to join me.
Not tried the Gluttony IIPA myself will look out for it.
Hey, a tag along on a brew day is an offer too good to refuse, would love to check out how an AG is done.
thanks & keep in touch that one SW.

cheers

Yeah I can't say I post much but I'm another West Aussie. I biab but was thinking of trying a few partials to try something different.

Mate I have exams next week and thenafterthat I have 6 weeks off uni where im hopingto work and brew. More than welcome to come around for a brew day at mine too. Im in yangebup not far from freo. I use a 4v setup for AG. Has not been used for about 3 months and cant wait to get it out again :)
Macca

Latest posts

Back