Hi from Melbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristolianscum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm originally from the south west of the UK and have been living in Melbourne for about 4 years.

Where I'm from the farmers brew up a nasty concoction called Scrumpy and I bloody love it. I'm a bit fed up with all the sweet sparkly cider here so I decided to do something about it and try and create something a bit dryer and more along the lines of a good old fashioned scrumper (albeit minus the rats and other beasties fabled to add to the taste)

I've only been doing it about 6 months and I'm working my way up to building my own apple masher and press. In the mean time I have been experimenting with store bought apple juice and different techniques, ingredients and yeasts to find out what I like and what works well.

Traditionally you are supposed to add nothing and just use the yeast on the apple skins, but I have really enjoyed playing around with different brewing yeasts and sugar types and quantites, I've also discovered that (quite embarrassingly) I really enjoy a sparkling cider - though it has to be as dry as an Iraqi's thong.

Thanks everyone, and If anybody has any experience in doing this, I would love to hear from you.

Liam

There's a few keen cidermakers on here. Some from storebought, some from pressed apples. When I make it, it is often a blend of the two. Might get one going soon as it's been a while.

Where abouts in SW UK? Grew up near Bristol and sank a fair few gallons of local scrumpy interspersed with Butcombe.

Anyway welcome

I grew up in Bedminster. I Drank a lot of Dundry Scrumpy but also loved Smiles Bitter. I think they packed up and moved unfortunately. Thanks for the welcome guys!

Nice, welcome. I have fond memories of Scrumpy Jack, and the good old Exhibition Cider from the Cori Tap. Lived in Bristol for a couple of years, couple of places around Clifton and Redland near the uni.

Latest posts

Back