Hi everyone, new to brewing so any help will be awesome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool might leave it for a few more days then
Thanks for the quick response

Canadian blonde is a very nice drop my old man has brewed that kit for a long time, as advised ditch the plain sugar and dextrose and use a brew enhancer, just use the dextrose for priming, and also use better yeast than the one in the kit, use safale US-05 for a crisp clean finish. I'm a fairly new brewer too and I am still learning so anyone feel fee to correct me

I'd personally step away from the 'brew enhancers' and just add dry malt extract (a touch of wheat malt does wonders as well) keep any Dex additions to about 300g max, you will notice a vast improvement just there..

Cheers

mosto said:
Yep, there's two types of Coopers Brew Enhancer. From memory, the Brew Enhancer #1 is 60% light malt, 40% dextrose, and the Brew Enhancer #2 is 50% light malt, 25% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin. Both will give the beer more body than straight sugar, the maltodextrin in the BE #2 will also help with head retention.
It'd probably be a better enhancer if it was, but it's 60% dextrose and 40% maltodextrin. BE2 is 50% dex, and 25% each LDM and Maltodextrin.

I agree about ditching them and just adding malt extract though. My first ever batch I just added brewing sugar but I skipped the enhancers and went straight to malt extract for the next and each successive brew after that, to much improvement in the overall flavour. :D

G'day Pingelly,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

You can malt your own grain, my father did back in the 70's for his homebrew. It is a little tricky and produces that very distinctive wet grain smell.

Regards,

Andrew.

Latest posts

Back