Back for a second bash at home brew beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFC07

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've Been lurking for a bit, decided to get on board officially.
Been making other stuff to drink for a little while (Still playing around with it, pun intended) and has re sparked my interest to making some good home brew again also.
Used to make some for a a year or so in 2004 or 5, just tin & sugar mix's mainly and for the whole was pretty good beer that used to fool the mates.

So have started a first batch last Sat morning (7th march) using the Selection series Coopers heritage lager, with a tin of coopers light extract tin (think thats what it was), in the 30 ltr fermenter. Added in 3 ltrs of boiling water, also the two tins, mixed it all up good for about 2 mins, and filled the rest to 23 ltrs with cold water from the fridge and the tap, making sure i poured it from high to try and oxygenate the wash as I go, temp was at 25 c when i finished to the water level, so give another good stir up and chucked the supplied yeast in, another good stir, closed the lid and put in the bubbler. It has sat at about 22-3 deg for the last 6 days. Smells Awesome :)

So this evening, i took a hydro reading and was reading @ 1.020. @ 23 deg ferm temp.
The bubbler hasn't done any thing for 2 nights or so.
I will check again tomorrow after work, to check if reading comes down any further,

Was wondering had anyone else done this exact mix before and what was your results and how long did it take to ferment properly?
I want this first batch to be sensational, to encourage the father inlaw to partially sponsor the project going forwards, ie contribute the funding prior not just the consumption afterwards lol.

So kegging being the intention, and being as keen as mustard to try out some new brew, i'm secondering the old freezer that needs replacing in the kitchen anyways and kegerating it with the 19l kegs and a few taps.

When my wash is done for my still, i'm going to do a batch of Coopers IPA with the malt again and also try and hop it with some cascade hops, just to fool around a bit and also a plain old batch of pale ale with the brew enhancer and the malt extract as well.

I must also thank AzzA68 for droppin around some premium home brew bottles last night, it was much appreciated, and i could have chatted all night with you about brewing and Beer the other whiskeys and woods i'm playing around with. Great to meet a fellow enthusiast.

Ill leave it there,

Cheers,

IMG_0457.JPG

Welcome, I haven't done those kits myself but it sounds like you are on the right track.

Try and leave it two weeks and it should drop to 1.010, also temp control for the ferment will improve your beers. You want to be around 18-19 for the bulk of your ferment using us-05 yeast. Not 100% sure what yeast comes with those kits but yeast can make a huge difference on flavour.

Good luck and hope it turns out well!

Welcome. You will find, as I did, that a fair bit has changed since the (not so) good old days. Availabilty of ingredients is the key one. Take a look at brew enhancers and different yeasts for starters as they can really enhance body and flavour. Good luck with the father in law!!!

Back