Hey folks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotAnAustralian

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a homebrewer from the UK, and after finding this site and lurking for a little while,
finally signed up.

Anyhow, looking forward to trying out some of the stuff from your recipes section, and generally being a part of your community (If you'll have me)...

I think it's a little too late for us to try and discriminate against poms :p

Welcome!

The british are coming, the british are coming.....

Welcome NAA, get involved there's plenty of advice on here(mostly helpful)..

There's more Poms (and children of Poms - hey, you don't even need to be that to play cricket for England anymore) expatting in Aus on this forum than the Aussies.

Enjoy, have fun and ask away. Don't forget that some things (like no-chill) are 'not done' by UK based brewers, but are regularly done here. It's funny seeing the norms between different brewers across the world (American, UK, and here/NZ).

The 'no chill' method is a method where the hot wort is decanted to a "cube" after or not long after whirlpool.

The cube is a HDPE plastic container/drum/barrel that is considered safe to be used with near boiling wort.

The cube is largely filled with an excess headroom squeezed out (by printing the cube up against a wall and depressing with your knee) and then sealed air tight.

Being that the wort is at such a high temp it effectively sterilises the cube. Enabling the cube to be stored (in a cool, dark place) for an extended period of time.

Obviously the trade off is the extended isomerisation period of hops and the consequences this has on hop additions.

"Cube hopping" is a technique meant to replicate the late aroma hop additions, and has been employed with varying levels of success.

Latest posts

Back