Herms Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They received my posted NPT t-piece and the electric element (1" Boss) and he found that he could actually source stainless fittings to fit these exactly, which is great news.

He posted me a video of what I sent and the fittings he found to prove they screw together properly, nice customer service there!

You can view the video , apologies if the quality sucks, but youtube would not accept it in the format he sent it to me in.

He has confirmed feasibility and cost for the unit is US$182 including shipping. At the current exchange rate that works out to be Aus$195 odd dollars. Not bad for a 6m stainless coil HERMS unit.

I'll be paying him some time this week and then he can start the build.

Last edited by a moderator:
So to be clear, the element mount is BSP?
The 1/2 NPT is functionally equivalent to BSP?
I could not see your explanation for needing the T-pieces at the entry and exit??

Cheers.

Hi Yorg,

Good to see you on here again. 1/2" BSP is almost the same as 1/2" NPT and they will mate. I have a 1/2" NPT filter with 1/2 BSP pipe and it seals fine. Tape will fill the gap from the difference. A 3/8" BSP fitting however, will not match a 3/8" NPT properly, it depends on the size.

Check out this site for a compatibility table. If the pitches match, it should be okay.

There's also this site for NPT to BSP adaptors.

Cheers,
Rob

So to be clear, the element mount is BSP?
The 1/2 NPT is functionally equivalent to BSP?
I could not see your explanation for needing the T-pieces at the entry and exit??

Cheers.

Fabrication is complete:

PICT0296.JPG

PICT0300.JPG

PICT0302.JPG

PICT0303.JPG

PICT0305.JPG

PICT0309.JPG

PICT0310.JPG

PICT0311.JPG

PICT0313.JPG

PICT0315.JPG

G'day john

Where are you mounting a temperature probe on your unit.

:icon_cheers:

Nice looking piece of equip there!.

I would get some pickling paste onto those welds; thoses internal ones don't look like they have been done.

QldKev

The PID will be monitoring the temp of the wort as it exits the HERMS via a threaded thermocouple and a stainless t-piece.

So the PID is not monitoring the surrounding water in the cylinder. Are you using a PID for your mash temps so you know whats happening in the mash tun given there will be a temperature drop on the way through from HE to MT.

So the PID is not monitoring the surrounding water in the cylinder. Are you using a PID for your mash temps so you know whats happening in the mash tun given there will be a temperature drop on the way through from HE to MT.

No, only monitoring wort temperature, monitoring mash temperature can result in the wort being overheated in an attempt to bring mash up to temp. This results in enzymes being denatured.

Ahhh - the age old HERMS probe placement debate........

Yes, it is an age old debate, but.....my personal experience is that with my RIMS setup, I had the probe in the mash tun and though it read correct mash temperature, almost without exception, my attenuation was outside the yeasts specifications. When checking RIMS outflow temps, they would read 2-3c above the mash tun reading and depending on placement of the probe, could be 3-5c difference between the bottom and top of the mash.

I moved the sensor three brews ago and every brew has attenuated within the specified yeast limits. I have not yet monitored mash temperature separately from the RIMS outlet yet, but probably will eventually.

Well at last I have mine finished and wired in. Just have the plumbing to do then a test run to chart the SV's of the difference temps between the HE and the mash tun. Looking forward to better efficiencies in my mash with this setup.

View attachment 33469 View attachment 33472

Cheers

That is one sexy looking rig BN :)

Geez, just when I think my rig is getting there, buggers like you go and post pictures like that....

Hmmm... upgrade time methinks B)

Cheers!

:icon_offtopic: Might have to come down for a visit next time I'm heading down home to see the parents..... Where abouts in the channel are you? I own a block of land down at Randall's Bay, just up from where the shack used to be :)

G'day NickB

This rig has been a year in the making spare time. Still not quite finished but close, Trying to make beer during the building stage was a bit of a trick I'll tell you. We are at Woodbridge on the Highway so you would pass us on the way to Randell's Bay. Been down that way fishing for flathead and salmon a few times. PM me if you get down this way. ;)

Cheers.

Will do mate, will most likely be early next year. Spent most of my childhood holiday down at the shack, and at the rellos at Egg & Bacon Bay, plus visiting all the little known family at Cygnet.

Know where Woodbridge is, beautiful part of the world :) Miss the pristine Tassie environment, but not the Tassie cold (That being said it was 37 here today and sticky..... :( Wish it would rain to fill up the tanks!!)

Arrived today and installed this afternoon. Ran a water test through it. Seemed OK. Couple of things left to do:
  1. Insulate the container
  2. Add fluid level sensor to control SSR for HERMS element so it cuts out if it runs out of fluid
  3. Run another test using glycol as the heating fluid
  4. Re-tune the PID controller
  5. Add a stirrer, the HERMS would be much more efficient if the heating fluid was agitated, maybe an old fan motor with some sort of propeller

There are some design issues that, one a combination of fabrication & design change, the other was something I just failed to communicate to Emanuel:
  1. I asked to raise the coil in the container, then, during fabrication, the coil height was higher than anticipated, resulting in it being a bit nearer to the top than I wanted
  2. The outlet tube has a downward slant, meaning it will not drain properly the way I have it currently set up, something I can live with
  3. Manu dutifully supplied me with fittings for my NPT stuff, unfortunately they are a loose fit and I had to use tons of teflon and pipe/steam sealant to get them to bind. If anyone else orders, just go with BSP!

For about Aus$210, its an excellent unit and hopefully a good investment in my brewery.

Ok, picture time.

HERMS_Installed_001s.jpg

HERMS_Installed_002s.jpg

HERMS_Installed_003s.jpg

HERMS_Installed_004s.jpg

Arrived today and installed this afternoon. Ran a water test through it. Seemed OK. Couple of things left to do:

1. Insulate the container

Sleeping bag and sisalation reflective paper :ph34r:

Looking forward to the results, John.

Stubbie

Back