Herms Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a few emails with Manu at stainlessstuff.net I have changed the design to suit his bending capabilities. The HERMS cylinder is tall enough to fit all but the very longest and highest powered elements available from places here in Australia. Fittings are now all BSP instead of NPT.

FJ,
If it was me I would place the coil closer to the top of the HE vessel to take advantage of the thermoclines. Just an observation and comment really other than that it's looking the bomb. Any indications of costs yet?

Chap Chap

Yeah not a bad idea, I need to leave some room at the top for the float switch to control the SSR, but could raise it 50mm or so. No indication on cost yet, just sent pics off this morning.

FJ, maybe you could use an element like this one:
element.JPG
It would save you a bit of space.
Contact www.thermalelectric.com.au or you might be able to make one from the bendable elements available from Stokes (http://www.stokesap.com.au/Downloads/Stokes_Service_Manual_%20Sect_K.pdf).

If using a bendable element, why couldn't you wrap it around the coil? or would that risk getting the coil too hot & potentially scortching your wort?

Do you need to add a stirer to cope with the increased diameter?

I have been looking around some time now for a suitable vessel for a herms setup for my rig and and haven't even come close until yesterday when I walked into a second hand shop in Hobart and lo and behold discovered this discarded Wormald S/steel fire extinguisher resting behind a pile of junk. A quick exchange of ten bucks and it was mine. This vessel measures 500mm x 170 and is ideal for my setup.
I will cut the height down to a round 400mm and fit a new bottom to accomodate a vertical heating element and allow access to fit the S/steel helicoil, courtesy of Stainlessstuff (Vietnam) and a thermowell for the PID controller. With my brewrig approaching the two grand mark and reaching the final stages of completion I am putting the brakes on as this is about as far as I want to go with it financially. I suppose the bottom line is, if you have the patience and the time sooner or later something on the cheap will turn up.

View attachment 30842

:icon_cheers:

Top score there Beernut, perfect for your requirements.

cheers

Browndog

Yeah BD sometimes you can get lucky. You don't see to many S/steel fire extinguishers around as most I have seen are painted and probably made of steel to reduce costs. Even these would do the job even if you still wanted to fit a S/steel helicoil to it, just don't look as pretty.

:)

OK, initial costing of this is US$182 including postage, so with last nights Aus$ rate, works out Aus$206 delivered, probably going to get him started on fabrication of it when I next hear from him.

Fabrication is probably going to start in the next day or two and will be complete within a day, so that is pretty neat, means if I am happy with it I could have it in my grubby little hands within two weeks.

I have asked about reduced costings for subsequent orders if others are interested.

FJ - I am sure you will post piccies once it arrives for us all to drool over :icon_drool2:

Looking forward to seeing how the final product shapes up!

so does it c ome with a element, or just a hole for one?

That looks awesome, would be interested to see the end pricing.

Are you planning on using it purely for maintaining temperature, or do you think that you'll be able to raise the temp with it?

What plugs the drain tube? Is it threaded?

• T-pieces are for inclusion of thermocouples/sensors at inlet and outlet of heat exchange coil.
  • 1/4" tube at bottom of HEX is for draining water after brew complete.
  • Lid should be close fit so that any boiling of the water does not result in water splashing everywhere.
  • Has 6.9cm of room at the top for inclusion of a float switch to prevent activation of heater element when water is not present or of insufficient level.
  • Coil has vertical entry at bottom to assist in wort draining or cleaning solution drainage.

Anyone think of any other features that should be added before I send it for a quote?

Hi John,

Looks pretty good. Have you considered copper over SS for the coil? It conducts heat 20-30 times better than SS (ie smaller coil and tank), is cheaper, and easier to work with. Though, admittedly not as flash though...

Cheers,

Rob

Sinkas - no it does not come with an element, only comes with the 1" BSP coupling for an element

Kook - plan on raising temp with it, with an 3000w element, should be able to ramp at about 1c/min.

Bob - had thought about copper yes, issue is that copper does not really like extreme ranges of ph such as caustic soda or acid for cleaning, so stainless is the best solution for a CIP routine.

I had contacted Manu about getting started on it after the final quote was about Aus$200 shipped. Have not heard back from him yet.

Latest update.

To alleviate concern about fitting sizes and element screw in size, I am sending him a 1/2" T-piece and an element out of my RIMS tube, for me, this means no more brewing until I get it back :(

BUT, it means certainty when it comes to that last nagging doubt I had about communicating thread sizes and the like.

So, once he gets them in the post, he is going to start the build and we should be right to go for delivery of the first one.

Arrrgh, not yet, looks like either AusPost or Vietnam post has lost my sample stuff I sent!!! Still he is off to visit his version of the post office to see if they just have not delivered it.

Keep us posted - I'd be keen for a unit exactly like this!

Back