Herms Coil Inside A Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have to change the name Brewery in a Box = BIAB. :p
Any Ideas on name or what features you would like to add ?
Nev

BME? Brewing made easy?

Better be quick though as there are some retailers in the East/North who will no doubt be making their own cheaper/better/fanboy versions.

Just an impartial observer.

cheers

darren

Looks great, nice and compact too.
As for a name, why not call it what it is, a HERMS? Or are you talking about selling a complete brewing system, kettle, HLT and all, and are you selling a specially built controller as well?
Noticed a thread about this recently HERMs and was wondering when some enterprising retailer would get around to making and supplying them, good on you.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pricing as I'd like to reduce the size of my HERMS.

Andrew
Andrew the heart of the system is the controller so yes without selling this the systems, its well nothing but a collection of bling.
Looking at the brewer to supply their own vessels at this stage as they are expensive to ship when they can be sourced locally. We do have a few ideas but keeping those quite ATM.
We have been going at this project for long time but we keep find components which do the job better and other that have not. So lots of hours/money invested in R&D particularly in the software side of things. For a unit so small it easily produced 100L Brown ale in less time than it usually takes me to do 50L on my 3V.
When we are 100% satisfied with the controller then I can price it out.
Nev

Andrew the heart of the system is the controller so yes without selling this the systems, its well nothing but a collection of bling.
Looking at the brewer to supply their own vessels at this stage as they are expensive to ship when they can be sourced locally. We do have a few ideas but keeping those quite ATM.
We have been going at this project for long time but we keep find components which do the job better and other that have not. So lots of hours/money invested in R&D particularly in the software side of things. For a unit so small it easily produced 100L Brown ale in less time than it usually takes me to do 50L on my 3V.
When we are 100% satisfied with the controller then I can price it out.
Nev

I'll been keen to see the controller then Nev, will it do programmable step mashes?

Will be keeping my eye on this like a hawk. Been looking to upgrade and this suits my requirement for compact and efficient.

Will be keeping my eye on this like a hawk. Been looking to upgrade and this suits my requirement for compact and efficient.
We are looking at a introductory brew day at the Gryphon shed in a few weeks, if you are interested drop me an email. Have had a lot of interest so far.
I think I will need to start a new thread for the brewing system.
Nev

I am also VERY interested in this.

Are you thinking it will be a kit which you can simply supply your own cheap jug? That would be ideal, simply use a $10 jug from KMart...

I haven't read too much into HERMS but do they mostly replace your HLT? I assume you can fill your MLT then run through the herms to get up to temp. Then you would only need a HLT big enough for your sparge? Certainly a sh*tload better than adjusting mash temp with a submersible element...

I am also VERY interested in this.

Are you thinking it will be a kit which you can simply supply your own cheap jug? That would be ideal, simply use a $10 jug from KMart...

I haven't read too much into HERMS but do they mostly replace your HLT? I assume you can fill your MLT then run through the herms to get up to temp. Then you would only need a HLT big enough for your sparge? Certainly a sh*tload better than adjusting mash temp with a submersible element...
The real genius of the set up is you only need a corded $10.00 jug (no $250.00 urn) to heat the coil to ramp your temps, the unit also controls your 240V kettle. You will need a HLT to sparge and a kettle to boil and obviously a false bottom of some kind so you can recirc while you ramp. As I said we do have some cheap option in the pipe line as a mash/sparge unit , more on that when we are happy with our false bottom design.
Nev

The real genius of the set up is you only need a corded $10.00 jug (no $250.00 urn) to heat the coil to ramp your temps, the unit also controls your 240V kettle. You will need a HLT to sparge and a kettle to boil and obviously a false bottom of some kind so you can recirc while you ramp. As I said we do have some cheap option in the pipe line as a mash/sparge unit , more on that when we are happy with our false bottom design.
Nev
Yep - that's how I understood it. I have a full 3V setup inc March pump so all I need is the kit to be on my merry way :beerbang:

this is a brilliant idea. Would love to know when they come available and the cost for the whole setup. I also have 3v with a pump and always wanted to do herms but the extra cost and time to do it currently is not possible.

We are looking at a introductory brew day at the Gryphon shed in a few weeks, if you are interested drop me an email. Have had a lot of interest so far.
I think I will need to start a new thread for the brewing system.
Nev

I am for that

Yep, I'm keen too
Ok guys drop me an email or PM and I will add you to the list. First one in two weeks and we have to limit it to 8 brewers max per brew session. Start time is a slack 10 am start. It will be a Dark lager and we will be using the dual control unit ( mash and HLT combo). We need to know if Saturday or Sunday suits most best ?
I have some Brown Ale which will be ready for the demo consumption but need to keep it focused on the brewing system presentation. :icon_cheers:
cheers Nev

Ok guys drop me an email or PM and I will add you to the list. First one in two weeks and we have to limit it to 8 brewers max per brew session. Start time is a slack 10 am start. It will be a Dark lager and we will be using the dual control unit ( mash and HLT combo). We need to know if Saturday or Sunday suits most best ?
I have some Brown Ale which will be ready for the demo consumption but need to keep it focused on the brewing system presentation. :icon_cheers:
cheers Nev

youtube it Nev :)

Nev,

I did something similar as far as controllers recently- 3 x ds18b20s, SSR, keypad and LCD and based it on an arduino uno. Makes for easy off the shelf controller hardware and very easy to customise. Haven't looked into arduino code protection though...

I made my keypad and sensor interface shield but the bare bones are covered with

one of these: arduino

and one of these: LCD sheild

Just need to plug in the sensors and SSR.

Here is mine: controller.JPG

Edit: Sorry mate, on re-reading it seems you are just fine tuning your design now.

Alf

Nev,

I did something similar as far as controllers recently- 3 x ds18b20s, SSR, keypad and LCD and based it on an arduino uno. Makes for easy off the shelf controller hardware and very easy to customise. Haven't looked into arduino code protection though...

I made my keypad and sensor interface shield but the bare bones are covered with

one of these: arduino

and one of these: LCD sheild

Just need to plug in the sensors and SSR.

Here is mine:View attachment 51485

Alf
Hi ALF
Nice set up, looks well designed and applied.
Gryphon Brewing have on the other specifically designed our own PCB, software and applications, its a propriety product which we own and control the rights (code and design) to, which is important in the retail environment. The design is infinitely expandable from the home brewer to commercial breweries. All designed and made in Australia. We are proud of our product and keep developing new concepts/applications to add. Its a long costly process but personally very rewarding.The idea is simplistic but technically more advanced than any commercially available off the shelf system.
Nev

Latest posts

Back