Help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsclark

Reaction score
I put a brew down yesterday.

Mangrove Jack American Pale ale
1 kg LME
250 g Caramunich Crystal Malt
Amarillo Hops
Safale US-05 yeast

I used the US-05 yeast as I have been reading the Its not good to use the yeast proved in the kits?

I pitched the yeast at 22 deg 15 hours ago and there is still no bubbling in the air lock.

Should I be worried? Can I add yeast provided? Or should I wait?

Advice please??

Do you have a constant temperature within the range stated on the packet?

unwrittenlaw said:
Do you have a constant temperature within the range stated on the packet?
Yes temp is within the range. First time using the US-05 yeast. This is also my 2nd brew. The last was a Morgans Canadian IPA and that starting bubbling after about 12 hours.

All good, I pitched a US05 about 15 hours ago too - nothing doing yet. It can take a little while to kick off sometimes.

All good!!! Its has just startted bubbling.

Thanks all who got back to me. I'm a total noob, and was a little worried.

dsclark said:
All good!!! Its has just startted bubbling.

Thanks all who got back to me. I'm a total noob, and was a little worried.
ditch the airlock next brew and use gladwrap with the large oring from your fermenter lid to hold it in place
You can easily tell that fermentation has started by feeling pressure when you put your hand on top of the glad wrap , also you can easily see the krausen forming . So much easier than fretting over an airlock not bubbling away

Alternatively BigW pots have glass lids. You can see through glass.

I've never had a fermentation fail to start.

Sometimes it just takes a while for it to become visible.

Sometimes, if you use a particularly prissy lager yeast for example, it never really looks like anything's happening because the fermentation is so slow.

Othertimes, if you have a highly fermentable wort, a large amount of excitable yeast, and warm temperatures, you can have krausen blowing out of your fermenter within 6 hours.

G'day dsclark, It normal takes up to 30 hours for the yeast to rehydrate and begin there attack. If you can keep the temp range between 17-20 degrees. I have found that this a good ferment range for US-05. US-05 yeast is doesn't add any flavour to your beer as such, its eats and settles out of suspension very well. Also a similar yeast style is Mangrove jacks M42 yeast it is great.

When your fermentation is complete and you have bottled or kegged, you can reuse the yeast on another brew.

Just scope out about 200 grams of the trub on the bottom into a sanitized and sterile glass and cover with glad wrap.

Assemble your new brew and add this to it, saves money and will start visible fermentation within 15 hours as it is already optimal.

Remember keep everything sanitized !!! Starsan is great as a sanitizer. Napisan unscented as a cleaner.

Keep on brewing!

How's it going dsclark?

Mine took about 30 hours to get going, now 4 days after pitching its chugging along nicely. Perfect brewing temperature here at the moment.

wp_ss_20170514_0001.png

good4whatAlesU said:
How's it going dsclark?

Mine took about 30 hours to get going, now 4 days after pitching its chugging along nicely. Perfect brewing temperature here at the moment.
Yes all good mate!! Mine has been bubbling away nicely for the last 6 days. Love the glass lid on yours!!

Rather than starting a new thread, I am hijacking this one!

My IRA is still bubbling. I am starting to get anxious and impatient. OG was 1.046, expected FG is 1.013, but currently sitting on 1.020, so nearly there. It has been in FV for 17 days. There was some action after maybe 30 hours? Yeast is S-04 (1 pack in 21L batch). Temp was 17.5 for first 13 days, then increased to 18.5 so has been at 18.5 for 4 days.

So in hindsight, it may have been too cool? Interested in feedback and how long is too long in FV.

I'd be raising it to around 20/21 degrees Chris. This will help encourage the yeast to finish up as well as clean up diacetyl which is likely present due to a long lag time and slow ferment.

Doesn't sound like a high mash temp issue then, probably best to just rouse it and increase the temperature for a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back