Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmac66

Reaction score
I am planning an all extract brew and have been playing with beersmith entering the details .
The Brew is a JSAA clone off the DB.
The Issue I have is the bitterness is still in bold comming in @ 14.9 IBU.
The second issue is the boil times I have in on the extract of 60Min
How long do you boild the LDME & Dried Wheat Extract ?
I have searched and looked at posts and it seems to vary from llast 5 minutes to full time.

Hope that makes sense .
I have attached the beersmith file ... Hope I have done it correctly
Hoping someone can assist..
thanks in advance .
View attachment recipes.htm

14.9 g of amarillo looks a bit low for a first addition considering you are looking at topping to 22litres
- would be more like 20 ish grams needed

if you intend leaving it at around the original 12 litres then the IBU will be about right

edit. but of course the gravity will be different :)

hope that helps a bit - am at work so dont have beersmith

one issue that you have is the boil gravity - you are adding all your extract at once, and boiling for the full time. This gives a high boil gravity, which lowers hop utilisation.

If you add 100g/L of the dried extract, this will give you a boil gravity of aprox 1040, which will give much better utilisation. The rest, and the liquid extract, can then be added in the last few minutes of the boil - just long enough to sanatise it.

In beersmith, if you double click on the extract in the recipe view, there is an option to 'add after boil'..

I couple of things to keep in mid.
In the initial boil you want to have a SG suited to get the best hop utilisation.
Around 1.040 at beginning of boil.
It is up to you what extract you put in first.

I'd opt to put in light extract to reach a suitable boiling gravity.
I'd also leave the flameout hop and add it to dry hopping.

In my partial day I would always add the liquid malts last 10 minutes inly to disolve the liquid prior topping up.

+1 on upping the amarillo. Or use a different bittering hops and all late Amarillo :D

Butter beat me to it hehehe

Thanks Guys ,
Butters I think this looks better...
IBU 30.5
Any other feedback welcomed before I Brew ...
Getting used to using Beersmith to which is a good thing in the learning curve!
Recipe attached .

View attachment recipes2.htm

Not familiar with the original recipe, but that certainly looks a lot better...

@ Muckey....bloody good guess on the weight :lol:

Thanks for that Butters!
Does it make a difference whether the LDME or the Dried Wheat Extract is first....
I have added the wheat first at this point.

woody

In beersmith, if you double click on the extract in the recipe view, there is an option to 'add after boil'..

A-HA! Thanks for that info. I've just been playing around with my first recipe in Beersmith and wondering why I couldn't reach my target IBU with nearly 150g of hops. It really had me scratching my head because the recipe looked fine until I looked at the IBU and it didn't add up. Now I'll be able to remove a large hop addition and still get a higher IBU than I thought I was getting (and possibly be able to actually drink it this side of 2015!).

brewed this recipe today an all went very sooth and ended up with an o.G of 1055 smack on with the estimate.
Worte tasted good and can't wait to tste once fermented and carbed up.
Thanks for the help ...

Woody

Latest posts

Back