Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullys brew

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: I put down yesterday,a Coopers Bitter kit with 600g dex, 500g of Coopers Light dry malt,Cascade hops teabag steeped for 10-15mins, & US05 rehydrated (also threw the kit yeast in after adding 2 some boiling water as a food for premium yeast...

I boiled the dex & malt in about 1.25l water,slowly or a simmer so as not 2 get a boil over or burn,for 10 min, before adding 2 kit in fermenter..1st time ive boiled sugars I normally just throw powder straight in,but am trying to avoid clumps (see my post on adding fermentables). I then gave it a good stir & topped up to 21l with cold water( I use spring or bottled water), & at 22 or 23 degrees, added US05 cascade teabag (also the 1st time ive used a hop teabag), put in fridge..

Fridge mate set to 18 & after nearly 36hrs still no bubbling through airlock or Krausen formed. It just looks dead or like cordial. Ive tried giving it a gentle rock to wake the yeats up a bit, & get bubbling in the airlock for a minute or 2, then nothing..

Have i done something wrong ?/?(1st time boiling sugars & was a bit worried), as all of my past brews seem to take of like a rocket within 12-24hrs..

I added the sugars to boiled water is this normal or should I have bought them upto the boil????, I also added them straight into the fermenter, should I have cooled b4 adding???..So much to learn!!!

Should I pitch another yeast & wait, or write it off & start again???

Hang on, there is 2 packs of yeast in there already yeah?

And it's been 36 hours....

Please bro - sit back and relax...

The boil/Simmer process has nothing to do with it, did you you take an OG reading? What was it?

A lot of people will argue that 2 different yeast will give you a unique brew, BUT you will not uncover the flavour of either if you use both..... don't worry tho - I am sure all will be be fine!

IMO: give it another 24 before you alert the media! and only alert ABC radio after that!!

Please please sit back and wait for at least another 24!

Again IMO!

Here comes the on slaught....

Sounds like everything's been done right, I'd wait till the morning and then if you can't see any scum on top (beginning of yeast activity) throw in another sachet. It's possible that the yeast might have been treated badly before it got to you. Without trying to kick off the whole 'rehydrate' debate, it was because of a few of these kind of instances that I started proofing the yeast before using.

Hang on, there is 2 packs of yeast in there already yeah?

And it's been 36 hours....

Please bro - sit back and relax...

The boil/Simmer process has nothing to do with it, did you you take an OG reading? What was it?

A lot of people will argue that 2 different yeast will give you a unique brew, BUT you will not uncover the flavour of either if you use both..... don't worry tho - I am sure all will be be fine!

IMO: give it another 24 before you alert the media! and only alert ABC radio after that!!

Please please sit back and wait for at least another 24!

Again IMO!

Here comes the on slaught....

OG Reading 1045

Please ignore airlock. First of all!! - enter Butters with his pages about how the Airlock is all you need :p - Jokes!

Seriously, forget your airlock as any sign of anything except a nice sounding affirmation....

So you have an OG of 1046 - Lets go to bed relax and in the morning take another reading....

THEN you will know if anything is happening or not IMO! Lets not forget this is all in my opinion and you may seek another...

BUT if not - What is your morning reading? If absolutely scared, go and take a reading now and report back! GO!

Mate, just relax and let the yeast get its boogie on....

Readings?

Please ignore airlock. First of all!! - enter Butters with his pages about how the Airlock is all you need :p - Jokes!

Seriously, forget your airlock as any sign of anything except a nice sounding affirmation....

+ 1, my airlocks rarely bubble alot and I have not had any dramas, just means it does not have an ultra tight seal, still normally good enough for our brewing.

What temp did you rehydrate the yeast? As you said you have really only added one packet of yeast as you killed the other ones with boiling water to use as yeast food/nutrient - which is not a bad idea.
If you rehydrated your yeast in water that was too hot you could have stressed/killed them off too - but I am sure your already aware of that.

As I have said to others, I have had brews that have not started for 36-48 hours with no ill effects, one of my latest brews actually took just over four weeks to ferment out - at ale temps!

I'll rise to the bait........airlocks are an invention of the ruling classes designed purely to keep the proletariat in their place. Come the revolution, when Arthur Scargill is flying the red flag over Buck house, the inventor of airlocks will be the first against the bloody wall.

+ 1, my airlocks rarely bubble alot and I have not had any dramas, just means it does not have an ultra tight seal, still normally good enough for our brewing.

What temp did you rehydrate the yeast? As you said you have really only added one packet of yeast as you killed the other ones with boiling water to use as yeast food/nutrient - which is not a bad idea.
If you rehydrated your yeast in water that was too hot you could have stressed/killed them off too - but I am sure your already aware of that.

As I have said to others, I have had brews that have not started for 36-48 hours with no ill effects, one of my latest brews actually took just over four weeks to ferment out - at ale temps!

I have a digital probe thermometer & never pitch till 23 -25 deg.
into 120ml of boiled water in a jar that has been boiled for atleast 10 min.
Sprinkle yeast into jar & allow to stand for 15 mins undisturbed, then GENTLEY swirl & allow to stand for a further 5 mins b4 adding to wort( which is normally 22-25deg. b4 adding yeast)

Do you aerate your wort at all, even if just shaking? some say that it makes f/a difference, others disagree....but without getting into that particular debate, was your wort aerated?

I have a digital probe thermometer & never pitch till 23 -25 deg.
into 120ml of boiled water in a jar that has been boiled for atleast 10 min.
Sprinkle yeast into jar & allow to stand for 15 mins undisturbed, then GENTLEY swirl & allow to stand for a further 5 mins b4 adding to wort( which is normally 22-25deg. b4 adding yeast)

That sounds good to me, in fact yours is safer than mine.
I boil in the kettle add water to a jar, freeze it to bring temp about 25 or so, pitch, swirl a little. Wait 20 or so swirl again and add to wort.

So has it moved since your last reading?

Latest posts

Back