Help With Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo_h

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to make an Old Pec clone as it is my favourite beer.

I found this recipe on BYO:

OLD ODDITY
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.058-1.063 FG = 1.015-1.020
IBU = 30 SRM = 24 ABV = 5.66.2%

Ingredients
6.6 lb. (3.0 kg) pale liquid malt extract (Coopers or More Beer English Extract)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) dry malt extract
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (60 L)
0.25 lb. (114 g) chocolate malt
7.33 AAU UK Fuggles hops (60 mins)
(1.5 oz./42 g of 5.0% alpha acids)
0.5 oz (14 g) Fuggles hops (15 mins)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or
White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast
0.5 cup corn sugar or dried malt extract (for priming)

Anyway my question is why they have 3kg of LLME, then 0.45kg DME?

Any reason? or is the DME supposed to be amber or dark, that's the only reason I can think, it's a different grade, but they don't mention what type of DME.

Full recipe here:

http://byo.com/feature/1217.html

my guess would be just to get the alcohol% up there, as they are trying to copy a commercial beer, they would have a required alc %, if this doesnt bother you, dont worry about it. you would be able to do all that with Light DME if you wanted to keep that alc% (i find DME easier to play with than LME).

1.25kg Liquid = 1kg Dry

Lobby

my guess would be just to get the alcohol% up there, as they are trying to copy a commercial beer, they would have a required alc %, if this doesnt bother you, dont worry about it. you would be able to do all that with Light DME if you wanted to keep that alc% (i find DME easier to play with than LME).

1.25kg Liquid = 1kg Dry

Lobby
That makes sense, I guess the extra malt is listed as dry to keep the number of liquid malt tins even. They wouldn't say 3.8kg liquid malt because then you'd have to open a new tin just for 800g, but it needs more than 3kg liquid malt for abv.

When they refer to DME, it is dry malt extract as oppsed to liquid malt extract. You may find the DME is added at the beginning of the boil with the wort extracted from the specialty malts. As Pablo indicated, it will be included in to order achieve an appropriate gravity in addition to the LME. The recipe will be constructed in this way to allow the LME to be added at the end of the boil so as to prevent wort darkening. That amount of DME in 19 litres will add around 8-9 gravity points so leaving it out will definitely affect the final beer in terms of malt/hop balance. That is not to say you won't enjoy the beer. It is a situation where your taste dictates. If you brew the beer without the DME and find it to be out of balance then you can make the adjustments in future brews.

The recipe will produce a rather tasy brew. The degree of similarity to Old Peculiar is another matter.

Well I brewed this yesterday, I used all DME.
What I ended up using was 3kg DME, 450g med crystal, 120g choc malt and 500g CSR black treacle and london ale III yeast.
It's the first time I steeped grains, the first time I used liquid yeast.
Hopefully it works out, as it's my most expensive brew to date and I've had infections with a few previous brews.

I'm running my split a/c to keep the brew above 18C, so far the krausen is building up and the airlock is bubbling heaps, 4 bubbles at once every 2 seconds.

The Old Peculiar is a very tasty drop indeed. The stuff we get in a bottle over here just does not compare to getting it from a hand pumped cask up in Yorkshire :(
Let us know how you get along with this recipe, as I'd like to try it myself.

Cheers,

Brett

No worries - using all DME is fine, maybe better than the LME as it stores better.

The real reason they use both LME and DME in the same recipe is LME comes in cans and you need to use whole cans. They then make up the difference needed with DME. That's why the LME is always a multiple of 2.2lb.

The logic of not just using all DME if you're specifying it anyway, escapes me*. But then, so does their continued use of an antiquated measurement system...

* but that's probably due to product range that does not really exist here in Aus.

No worries - using all DME is fine, maybe better than the LME as it stores better.

The real reason they use both LME and DME in the same recipe is LME comes in cans and you need to use whole cans. They then make up the difference needed with DME. That's why the LME is always a multiple of 2.2lb.

The logic of not just using all DME if you're specifying it anyway, escapes me*. But then, so does their continued use of an antiquated measurement system...

* but that's probably due to product range that does not really exist here in Aus.

You'll probably find your * point is true. We have extract. That's it. They have extract made from pilsner malt, munich malt, maris otter malt etc. Plus the relative popularity of extract brewing would ensure a faster turnaround and fresher product.

i made a recipe for an old ale based off that byo one very very tasty and malty warms your stomach as u drink it but taking ages to carb up

i drank a bishops finger last night for the first time and thats definantly a beer worth cloning if anyone has the recipe

Latest posts

Back