Help With My First Brew...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holmesy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am newish to brewing. I tried a couple of brews and most of them were rubbish. This is the first forum I have ever joined and am looking for some real help with brewing.

I want to make a pale ale with class. So far the ingredients that I have are:

Coopers Australia Pale Ale 1.7kg kit
500g Dextrose
250g Light Dry Malt
250g Corn Syrup
(The above ingredients came as a brew boost package from my local HB store)

2 x 12g Cascade hops bags
American Ale Yeast

Be patient with me as I know this home brew thing can work as I have tasted some crackers.
I really want to understand the best practice and process...

In the past I would have:

1) Warmed the can in a basin of hot water for about 10 mins and dumped in the bottom of the fermenter
2) Boiled the cascade bags in 2L of hot water for 10 minutes at a rolling boil
3) Dumped the brew boost in the fermenter with 2l of boiled water (Then used a hand blender when the brew boost turned to lumps)
4) Throw in the cascade hop bags with water
5) Top up to 23 litres
6) Get the temp to 22-24 and pitch the yeast...

I am happy for any help as I am certain that there are fundamental things I am doing which will create ordinary rather than enjoyable beer.

Cheers!

Two of the best things you can do to improve your beers are:

1. Concentrate on maintaining temperature. Generally for ales it is recommended to stay between 18 and 22. There are some brews where going outside that range can be a good thing and lagers are a different kettle of fish but start simple.

2. Leave your brew for at least another 3 days after you reach final gravity. If you can wait for 7 then all the better. If you have a fridge you can put the whole fermenter in for another few days after that, all the better.

Extra tips: If you are bottling try and save at least a few bottles for drinking after the minimum 2 week period and I mean at least a month or two after that). Beer changes a lot over time.

I'd also recommend rehydrating your yeast and aerating the brew before you add it in (a whisk works fine, also splash the ingredients as you go). Splashing is not recommended after the brew starts fermenting however. Rehydrate with cooled, boiled water.

Instead of boiling in plain water try adding 200g of the malt extract in with the hops for the 10 minute boil.

Welcome to The Rev!

You have made a fantastic step in looking at what else you can do besides the 'default' things you get sold. They rarely taste much good, never, if I recall.

As Manticle stated, fermentation temp is critical, if you can keep it cool do it. Thankfully the weather is getting toward the little window we Aussies have of fermenting without temp control.

Sanitation is critical, develop a new definition of clean, I mean CLEAN. Then sanitise.

I say just get a few more brews under your belt, hops and spec malt will make an amazing difference to a kit, but you wait until you do a minimash... they are not scary, and will bring you to the next level. But get a couple of extract batches out first to get used to the steps one thing at a time.

Good brewing mate, at least you know you can make better beer. I don't think there is any good brewer, however experienced, that does not strive for better beer.

Welcome to The Rev!

You have made a fantastic step in looking at what else you can do besides the 'default' things you get sold. They rarely taste much good, never, if I recall.

As Manticle stated, fermentation temp is critical, if you can keep it cool do it. Thankfully the weather is getting toward the little window we Aussies have of fermenting without temp control.

Sanitation is critical, develop a new definition of clean, I mean CLEAN. Then sanitise.

I say just get a few more brews under your belt, hops and spec malt will make an amazing difference to a kit, but you wait until you do a minimash... they are not scary, and will bring you to the next level. But get a couple of extract batches out first to get used to the steps one thing at a time.

Good brewing mate, at least you know you can make better beer. I don't think there is any good brewer, however experienced, that does not strive for better beer.

Great, thanks for the tips!

Sanitation is paramount I understand that and am cautious to the extreme.

Question?

Should I be boiling the malt / brew boost kit prior to adding to the wort?

Secondly, does it matter when I add the cascade hops and should I steep or dry hop?

Perhaps all of these things are personal... I really just want to make the best beer possible with these ingredients. Following that, I will look at mini mashing... I am not impatient... just expectant!

Cheers!

Back