Help With My Add

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolto

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

This is my first post, though I have been lurking here for the past 6 months gleaning the excellent tips as well as having a few laughs along the way.

I have been K&King for the past 8 months trying the various kits and focusing on the basics like sanitation and temp control before upping the complexity.

My question relates to my ADD Australia Day Draft. Recipe/method as follows:

1 can Coopers Original Draft

1 kg Coppers BE #1

500 grams Coopers LDME

kit yeast

14 day primary ferment @ 18 20 deg

OG 1052

FG 1010

Bottled 26/01/08

Secondary bottle ferment at 25 26 Deg C with carbo drops

1st bottle opened 10/02/08

I know it is still quite young, but my question relates to the sweet finish of the beer which I was not really expecting with this style. The bitterness is there up front, along with some malt as expected but it just finishes a little too sweet for my liking.

Will the sweetness reduce with more bottle age? Or have I pushed the Coppers yeast to the limit with the extra 500 gr of LDME and it couldnt get through it all in the 14 days?

I think I know the answer but I though I would put it to the forum to confirm my thoughts.

Happy Brewing!

Bolto

Welcome to AHB Bolto. Looking at your recipe you have increased the malt content of your brew but did not increase the hops to suit. The kit is hopped but the rest of your fermentables are not. So the malt/hop balance has swung towards malt. I'm surprised that it finished as low as 10 gravity points. The longer you keep the bottles in storage the more the flavour will improve. Well done on targeting important aspects of brewing such as temp control and sanitation so early in your brewing career. Good luck. :D

Back