Help with making recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutusobrien

Reaction score
Hey. So i have made about 12 AG brews and had success, all pretty good beers, i was always following someones recipes. I have branched out and started reading ray daniels designing beer book , but i can't seem to get everything right on brew day. So i was aiming for OG 1.044-1.056, first run off was 1.080 and when i had 20litres in kettle i checked gravity as it was running pretty pale and it was 1.028. I added 6 litres of water as i was aiming for 20 litre batch. Therefore the OG was 1.041.
Should i have kept fly sparging to bring the gravity up as opposed to just adding the water? now that its fermented the FG is 1.014. so thats made it about 3.5%ABV ,Also its the first time i mashed with the copper pipe design from john palmers book, so i think efficiency would be pretty good, feeling bit lost...

Ray Daniels book is a great book...A must have

You should have kept sparging. I batch sparge and recirculate, this helps get most of da sugaz out of the mash

First running will be high, then drop of over the 2nd & 3rd runnings

Note that Fly & batch sparging are 2 different methods

Latest posts

Back