Help With Knappstein Reserve Lager Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I have tried to brew somthing similar to this several times and can't get it right. I think most help is needed with the hop schedule. Do I use NS for bittering as well, or only for flavour? What about aroma? Can we assume S189 and Pilsner as a given for malt and yeast.

I have done a few using the no-chill method, could that effect things in any way?

I would like to hear of anyone that has had some success with this one.

Cheers
KOS

Thread here, dude...

I still reckon that recipe is pretty close, but I'd probably even ferment it lower at 9-10C for 3-4 weeks and then lager at 0C for another 4 weeks. Thats what i'm going to try next time I do it

edit: forgot the link..

I did one recently. Ignored the 60 minute hop addition, and instead did (all Nelson Sauvin):

27g 20min
25g 10min
23g 5min
25g steeped for 10 min at flameout.

The grain bill was a little different (I added a bit of wheat), but the hop character is remarkably close. Has great NS aroma to it, beeeaaauutiful...

Kaiser, my final addition is a flameout, steeped as well, I just add it as a 1 min addition into Beersmith to get an IBU figure... I agree that 25g would probably give a better NS aroma, but I don't find the Kanppstein to have a really prominent aroma, but each to their own.

Also, an old stager in this game also gave me some advice about making hop additions that are boiled for more than 10 minutes, but less than 30... something about more than 10 lets some nasty flavours and characteristics of a lot of hop varieties out that not boiling for 30 mins usually won't be enough time to drive off. I wish I could remember all the terminology, but I have found that it has improved the hop characteristics of my beers

I think I abused NS in the manner you refer to Schooey when I bought my first bag of the stuff. The flavour was not much like Knappstein at all and pretty harsh.

I think if I did it again, I would want a clean 60 min or even 45 min bittering profile, and then LOADS at say 5min for the NS oil profile.

ED: I have started to really crank the boil for the last large 5 min addition, trying to incorporate as much flavour as I can. I am unsure if this is successful yet.

what about the ones you brewed wasn't right??

Hops, malt. bitterness??

Your recipe might be one little tweak away. Whats missing... whats wrong?

Mine smells and tastes great! Perhaps a little bitter, but I did hop it to 40IBU so time will mellow the slight harshness I assume.

Latest posts

Back