Help with Irish red recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuwort

Reaction score
G'day, here is what I have in mind for an Irish red. This was put together using Ian's spreadsheet. I used to quite enjoy Matilda Bay's Roof Top Red, (which I haven't seen in years), so I thought I'd give this a crack.

This is my first beer not using a can as the base. Any suggestions or knowledge shared would be great,

Do I have to use the wort from the grain for the hop boil, or can I just add that to the FV and use the dry malt for the hop boil?

Thanks

Stu

1 kg light dry malt
1.5 kg amber dry malt
250g carared
100g cararoma
150g maltodextrin

5L Boil:
10g Southern Cross 60 min
10g Styrian Goldings 30 min
20g Styrian Gioldings 10 min

Danstar Nottingham yeast

Looks like a good first full extract brew to me. Out of interest are you using the "Hop Concentration Factor" in Ian's spreadsheet for your 5 litre boil? It's probably a small enough boil to warrant turning it on, and upping your hop additions a little if you're after an IBU in the low 20's (assuming a 23 litre volume here).

You could move that first Goldings addition to 20 instead of 30 if you wanted to max the flavour, a fair bit of the hop flavour can get boiled off in just those 10 minutes.

You definitely want to boil your steeped grain wort....after the steep remove the grain, bring that wort to the boil, once boiling add around 350gm of your DME to bring your boil gravity up to around 1.040....then boil that for 60 minutes, at the end of the boil add the rest of the DME just before flameout. Have a look here for a guide I wrote recently...the various steps for an all extract brew are towards the bottom of the first post.

Edited in bold for Yob.

is this for a small batch? what volume are you aiming for?

cmon carniebrew, how can you tell him to up the hops without knowing the full recipe?

Nottingham 'may' not be the best yeast for this one either.. you dont mention any dry hopping?

The recipe has full batch written all over it Yob, take a deep breath buddy!

Stuwort said:
G'day, here is what I have in mind for an Irish red. This was put together using Ian's spreadsheet. I used to quite enjoy Matilda Bay's Roof Top Red, (which I haven't seen in years), so I thought I'd give this a crack.

This is my first beer not using a can as the base. Any suggestions or knowledge shared would be great,

Do I have to use the wort from the grain for the hop boil, or can I just add that to the FV and use the dry malt for the hop boil?

Thanks

Stu

1 kg light dry malt
1.5 kg amber dry malt
250g carared
100g cararoma
150g maltodextrin

5L Boil:
10g Southern Cross 60 min
10g Styrian Goldings 30 min
20g Styrian Gioldings 10 min

Danstar Nottingham yeast
Due to availability, I've had to change the the hops. This is now what I'll run with hops wise:
10g Chinook for 60 min
20g Goldings for 30 min
20g Goldings for 30 min

Carnie, I'm worried that if I shorten the second addition, it will become too hoppy for the style?

Yob, on the yeast front, I have only got S 04, Windsor or Nottingham to choose from. I'm in Beldon in Perth and the LHBS is a Brewcraft. There is a good HBS in Welspool, 45 min away. Any suggestions? And yep, sorry, 22L.

Cheers Fellas.

Id go the windsor myself but hay, whatever floats your boat mate, have a go with S-04 and I wish you more luck than I ever had.

2.5kg of dme in a full size batch seems a bit light to me.

2.5kg of dme in a 22 litre batch gives 4.8% after bottle conditioning...so no probs there for an Irish Red Ale. Remember that dme gives more bang for gram than LME. e.g. 2.5kg of lme would give only 4.1%

As for too hoppy Stu, fair enough...personally I'd probably drop the 30 min addition altogether and just leave the 60 and 10 in an Irish Red. I too would choose Windsor over Notto or S-04, based on reputation alone.

One of my better extract regulars was an Irish red. I preferred s04.

I also added roast barley to a couple of batches but found the astringency was too much. IIRC u can steep the roast barley in cold water if u want the color and a bit of the flavour without the astringency.

In any case I would suggest using it sparingly.

carniebrew said:
Looks like a good first full extract brew to me. Out of interest are you using the "Hop Concentration Factor" in Ian's spreadsheet for your 5 litre boil? It's probably a small enough boil to warrant turning it on, and upping your hop additions a little if you're after an IBU in the low 20's (assuming a 23 litre volume here).

You could move that first Goldings addition to 20 instead of 30 if you wanted to max the flavour, a fair bit of the hop flavour can get boiled off in just those 10 minutes.

You definitely want to boil your steeped grain wort....after the steep remove the grain, bring that wort to the boil, once boiling add around 350gm of your DME to bring your boil gravity up to around 1.040....then boil that for 60 minutes, at the end of the boil add the rest of the DME just before flameout. Have a look here for a guide I wrote recently...the various steps for an all extract brew are towards the bottom of the first post.

Edited in bold for Yob.
Cheers Carnie, I thought your guide was quite informative, and yes, it cleared up a few things for me. Like your mates, I too call a 750mL a 'longneck' or 'king brown' (it's a WA thing, I think).

hey Carniebrew,

for more LHBS options try "brews-r-us" in Canham Way Greenwood, just be prepared to ask for what you want rather than pick it up off the shelf.

for more specific stuff, such as yeast and grain, give Nev from www.gryphonbrewing.com.au a call, he is in Bassendeen, closer than Malthouse in welshpool which is who I assume you were referring to, and a great range.

Markymoo, it's actually Stuwort over in Perth, not me...but great info for him I'm sure! I was a Duncraig boy once upon a time, but that was 30 years ago.

Have finally put down a red. Due to availability and disorganisation on my behalf, I have created a recipe much different to the earlier touted versions. I have used the roasted barley for that touch of astringency that I like in a red. I have also used the dex in place of 1.5 kg of LME as I didn't want an overly malty beer. Here it is:

28L Batch

3kg TC Amber Malt Extract
50g Roated Barley steeped for 30min @63c in 3L,
20g Cluster 60min
20g fuggles 45min
20g Goldings 15min
20g Goldings 7min
added the rest of the malt extract 5min after flame out and then
1kg Dextrose 5min after flame out
Added pre made S 04 starter to wort (both 16c)

Brew at 16c for two weeks and then take readings on hydrometer.

Cheers

Stu

Stuwort said:
Have finally put down a red. Due to availability and disorganisation on my behalf, I have created a recipe much different to the earlier touted versions. I have used the roasted barley for that touch of astringency that I like in a red. I have also used the dex in place of 1.5 kg of LME as I didn't want an overly malty beer. Here it is:

28L Batch

3kg TC Amber Malt Extract
50g Roated Barley steeped for 30min @63c in 3L,
20g Cluster 60min
20g fuggles 45min
20g Goldings 15min
20g Goldings 7min
added the rest of the malt extract 5min after flame out and then
1kg Dextrose 5min after flame out
Added pre made S 04 starter to wort (both 16c)

Brew at 16c for two weeks and then take readings on hydrometer.

Cheers

Stu
Well, it isn't red, has no astringency, but it is an ale and tastes clean and good. Hydrometer reading at 1016 after 10 days @16c (was 1020 after 8 days - should go 1012>1014) and is an amber colour. I think next time I will go for the carared and cararoma recipe, maybe try it for my first AG and compare.

Cheers

Back