Help with Chai Spiced Milk Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breakbeer

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Chai Spiced Milk Stout on the weekend & I need some advice, I really want to get this right coz it's for the Vic' Case Swap

this is the recipe:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/yak-and-yeti-chai-milk-stout/

They just seem a little bit vague about how much Chai Spice to add, they say to add it to the keg until it tastes to your liking. Problem is I'll be bottling it so won't have that luxury.

They recommend to use your own Chai recipe to make a tincture in a small amount of vodka

I have an awesome Chai recipe, which is to make approx' 2 cups of Chai:

2 Black Tea bags
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 whole Nutmeg
3 Cardamon pods
1/4 tsp whole cloves
1/8 tsp black Peppercorns (about 3 or 4)
1 Tbsp fresh Ginger
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1 Vanilla bean

I'd love some recommendations on how much to use for a single 23L batch. I was thinking of doubling the amount of Chai spices above for the batch, but really not sure if this will be too much or not enough.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Can't help you with qty.

But, ginger usually overpowers everything else, I like some star anise and cinnamon in the mix for masala chai.

Thanks PF,

I have Cinnamon in there but not overly keen on the aniseed flavours from Star Anise

I'll tread lightly with the Ginger too

Another question: putting all the ingredients into Beersmith & it doesn't seem to have Lactose in the misc' ingredients section. How do I add that?

It also is quite a bit off on the estimated OG & ABV, not sure what I've missed?

Looks really interesting - let us know how it tastes! Have you tried the original?

Edit: respect to the handpumps in Yak & Yeti's restaurant (pics on homepage)

Haven't tried the original, just sounds like a really tasty beer & wanted to do something a bit different for the swap.

Might be a bit risky but hey, keen to give it a go

When you are very close to packaging (fg is good, beer tastes ok, no acetaldehyde, etc) pour 100mL and slowly dose it until it tastes close to what you want. Remember the proportion, repeat in the main brew.
Leave a few days, if too weak, add a shade more.

A bit worried about the Chai Spice tincture I made up

Not smelling spicy enough, just reaks of cheap vodka with a hint of Cinnamon

This is my swap beer, so I need to nail it.

Anyone done anything similar?

Aniseed, fennel, liquorice root. You gotta get that stuff in there. Freshly extracted liquorice like flavours are quite nice. Not like the artificial crap in the lollies.

My chai basically contains:

Fennel seed, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves.

Interested in how this turns out. I'll be brewing a milk stout tomorrow. I plan on adding chai spice mix and a vanilla pod to half the batch either in secondary or when bottling. Haven't worked out if I'll go the vodka tincture or plain tea method yet. Keep us updated on how it turns out

Not an expert here, but I remember my extract plus bits stouts often had some cardamom, star anise, cloves and a touch of cinnamon in them. (Pretty much whatever I could find that didn't use up the 'last bit' and invoke SWMBO's ire).

I found that the star anise, cloves and cardamom are generally only going to add a nuance, unless you really overdo it. The bitterness of the roast and the sweetness of the caramel malts generally negate an overpowering of spice from these two. Liquorice is much the same. If you don't overdo it, it's all good.

Cloves do make a beer feel (after you've drunk it) higher in ABV - due to their numbing quality. So be careful on that front.

Cinnamon on the other hand is very easy to overdo.

practicalfool said:
My chai basically contains:

Fennel seed, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves.
That's exactly what mine has, plus some nutmeg & peppercorns

Latest posts

Back