Help!?Washing Yeast - First effort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xander

Reaction score
I have just washed yeast for the first time. It's a wyeast 1968.

I can't seem to define the layer between the trube and the Yeast. The brew had a large dry hop addition - 100gms - is this why it seems to have that green tinge through it?

Have I somehow ruined this, or does it need more time to settle? Should I pour the beer out and top up with sterile water?

The yeast wash has been sitting for 2-3 hours. Had and hour or so in the fridge also.

Thanks for any help provided!!!

photo-2.JPG

Hmmm, Looks like its ruined..?

At least the beer is ok.

Thanks for your help and for the links.

Cheers.

Xander, simply add water, agitate it, and then wait 2-3 mins until the hop crap and coarse trub has separated, then decant and go through steps in Yob's first link. Not a problem.

What you're seeing there is the yeast settling into the trub, but it can still be separated.

1968 is a real pain to wash due to its tendency to form chunks and flocculate out really quickly. I'm going to top crop it next time i reckon.

I saw on another forum (cant remember where) that someone had success by adding the slurry to a starter of wort.
Once the yeast starts to ferment the wort it wont flocculate out quite so easily.
stop the stirplate, or let it sit after shaking it for a bit and the trub/hops will fall to the bottom. Decant the liquid portion of the starter and keep that. Should contain most of the yeast and leave the crap behind.

Back