Help Please - Hop Aa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Guys,

Having a go at Doc's Oktoberfest tomorrow - Picked up all ingredients this afternoon, but the cake of Hallertau (9%) was dated 2002 & was loosely wrapped in glad wrap in the fridge - Didn't like the look of it, so spent the extra & bought 3 satchets of Morgans finishing hops.

Entered everything on beersmith & they have the Hallertau ranging from 4 to 4.5% - checked the packet & there's no mention of AA.
Anyone have any idea what their AA is??
If I have to go back & buy the old 9% - how much more should I add to allow for their age/condition?

Please help, as all set to go...

That A.A% there looks way off as it is ross, i haven't ever heard of hallertau being that high, are they the real deal from the hallertau region?
as far as the hop tea bags go there only really good for finishing hops as you don't really need worry to much about the bitterness imparted by them. Even then being old there proberly not that great for finishing with either as the flavour could be quite different.

I don't like the sound of the hops you have, 9% sounds way to much and tea bags aren't much good, maybe try again for the third time and try get some real hallertau.

as far as working out the new A.A% for the old hops it could be almost anywere from next to nothing, just a quick look at the hop age alpha acid loss for hallertau and i have 50% so given that in theory there isn't any alpha acids left.
Of course iam sure this isn't the case but the case is you really need some fresh hops with a known A.A%.

if you have either promash or beersmith you should beable to come up with a A.A% with the hop age tools.

Jayse

Ross, I strongly recommend you change shops. Or, Put off the brewday and buy a kilo of mixed hops from Grain and Grape in Melbourne, 4 varieties, $49.95 plus postage.

Hops are a very important part of brewing. Good ingredients make good beers. This includes good storage. Poorly wrapped 3 year old hops are not worth while buying. Nor are the hops teabags. The length of time they have been hanging on the wall is unknown, as is the AA rating.

After the expense of your grain purchase and the effort of doing your all grain, do not jeopardise the end result with poor hops.

Hallertau are usually 4-5 %, unless they are NZ hallertau, which are much higher. Knowing the source and the rating is important, some would say critical in for your brew.

Ross said:
Guys,

Having a go at Doc's Oktoberfest tomorrow - Picked up all ingredients this afternoon, but the cake of Hallertau (9%) was dated 2002 & was loosely wrapped in glad wrap in the fridge - Didn't like the look of it, so spent the extra & bought 3 satchets of Morgans finishing hops.

Entered everything on beersmith & they have the Hallertau ranging from 4 to 4.5% - checked the packet & there's no mention of AA.
Anyone have any idea what their AA is??
If I have to go back & buy the old 9% - how much more should I add to allow for their age/condition?

Please help, as all set to go...
[post="50371"][/post]​

Hi Ross at a guess you have New Zealand Hallertau ... they have two Hallertau varieties. I have used the higher AA% hop and it is a very good hop.

Try for between 50 - 75% of the Alpha you gave and you should be close.

Steve.

Grains are cracked, starters bubbling & ready to go, so don't really want to put off the brew day.
guessing the the teabag hops are at least sealed & fresher, so maybe guess at AA 4%.

Docs recipe listed the AA of his Hallertau at 9% - & I'm sure the shop had there's at 9% but possibly may have been 7%.

so it's either let the grains spoil a take a gamble on the hops??

Hi Ross, the crushed grain wont go slack in a day or 2. Go and treat yourself to some decent fresh and properly labelled hops.

tdh

tdh said:
Hi Ross, the crushed grain wont go slack in a day or 2. Go and treat yourself to some decent fresh and properly labelled hops.

tdh
[post="50391"][/post]​

Where in Brisbane?? I'll get them tomorrow....

Hi Ross, Beersmith says that Hallertauer has a 50.0 AA% per 6 months but this is the German Hallertauer.

My latest batch of Hallertauer was 6.6% AA however I do not think they are the same as the German variety.

You can get these hops that I got, packed in nitrogen sealing for about $5 per 50 grams at my local - Oasis Home Brew Barn on Gympie Rd, Kedron.

sluggerdog said:
Hi Ross, Beersmith says that Hallertauer has a 50.0 AA% per 6 months but this is the German Hallertauer.

My latest batch of Hallertauer was 6.6% AA however I do not think they are the same as the German variety.

You can get these hops that I got, packed in nitrogen sealing for about $5 per 50 grams at my local - Oasis Home Brew Barn on Gympie Rd, Kedron.
[post="50420"][/post]​

Hallertauer, New Zealand Loss of 45.0 AA% per 6 months (Beersmith - I looked harder)

:beer:

Ross, before I left Sydney for the bumkens of QLD, Mel from ESB gave me the details of two HBS that cater for the AG'ers.

Brewers Choice at Chaple Hill 07 3878 4198
Mihes Home Brew (spelling might be wrong) at Beenliegh 07 3807 4575

I haven't tried these shops, but they might be worth a call.

Jason

Thanks nonic & Slugger, I'll get on the phone tomorrow....

Bullshite with the Hops Nazi's.... all that 'exact' crap is just crap - 25-30gms will treat you well....

As long as they are green you'll be fine.

Brew Before Dishonour!

///

/// said:
Bullshite with the Hops Nazi's.... all that 'exact' crap is just crap - 25-30gms will treat you well....

As long as they are green you'll be fine.

Brew Before Dishonour!

///
[post="50428"][/post]​

Oh I think I get it now.

/// said:
Brew Before Dishonour!

///
[post="50428"][/post]​

Hmmmm... written that down. Think I'll nip off to the tattoo shop now. :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
/// said:
Brew Before Dishonour!

///
[post="50428"][/post]​

Hmmmm... written that down. Think I'll nip off to the tattoo shop now. :lol:

Warren -
[post="50443"][/post]​

yeah and full points to the guy- "///" takes a whole stroke more to write than "X"

Or he likes Adidas perhaps? :D

Ein branden mit 3 stripen?

Warren -

/// said:
Bullshite with the Hops Nazi's.... all that 'exact' crap is just crap - 25-30gms will
///
[post="50428"][/post]​

Since when does putting up with inferior produce and brewing to old wifes tales and it'll be right she'll do attitudes get you the greatest possible beer?
'you'll be fine' isn't as good as the best you can get.
If you don't know were the hops come from or the A.A% then your on the back foot when it comes to craft brewing a beer, The tea bags might do the job for adding finishing hops to a kit but when your spending half the day around a mash tun and kettle crafting a brew some people like a bit of the 'exact crap'.
addvice isn't always for everyone, take it or leave it, i stick with my comments on going out and getting your hops from a better source if you are happy with what you have then great. I don't see anything crap in saying all hops aren't equal.

Saying 3 year old hops that have been stored poorly will be fine is like saying a bag of bush weed is the same as you remeber the weed you smoked in amterdam on your last trip. Would you put a old beaten up gear box in your XR8? to many of us the hops in our beer are just as important to us as engines parts are to the mad V8 drivers! we want the right ones for the job and nothing less.

Iam not saying you can't make great beer with them hops just they are inferior if you don't even know exactly what they even are!

Jayse

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="50449"][/post]​

I think he mentioned previously he screwed up when choosing an ID :lol:
But from the signature I'd take a guess and say he is a professional brewer at a brewery in Wollongong.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="50449"][/post]​
snipped this bit out>
I'd take a guess and say he is a professional brewer .

[post="50473"][/post]​

After some previous posts I came to the same conclussion.
If so I would hope he would addvise us to use the same standards as he would.

Jayse

Don't know why you guys bothered waste bandwidth replying to /// or whatever is name is...

Thanks for your advice guys, got 3%AA Hallertau this morning, nice & fresh - would have preferred a higher AA but just made nescessary adjustments...
Also managed to get the carapils I wanted from the same shop as well (Mikes at Beenleigh)... Nice guy, great service...:beer:

Tried hopping in the mash tun for the first time & in 15 mins we'll be sparging - all going great... :D :D

Latest posts

Back