Help Please 2nd Ever Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roota069

Reaction score
Help ....
I dont know what to do next. :huh: I put down a double batch K+K Soverign Gold Lager supplied from local HB in Ballarat, used brew blend #20 as recommended. This was done last Friday 28-03-08 used the higher temp yeast ( pitched at 20deg C )supplied by HB shop as I dont have fermenting fridge. 60litre fermenter with imertion heater. Its been blurp blurp for approx 4 days then temp dropped to approx 16deg C . When I went to keg it 7 days later Friday 04-04-08 the Final SG was 1020 so I phoned HB shop, he suggested to put in tub of hot water as the temp had gone down to 14-15deg C.
I did this and also checked imertion heater, its still working ( much to my dispare) had to remove from fermenter ( worried about infection ) Steralized and returned to fermenter.
I have checked SG again this am Sunday 06-04-08 and its still on 1020. WTF.
I have come to work to post this as I dont have web at home. back Monday 7.00am
Thanks for taking the time to read any help much appreciated.
PS. 1st brew went fantastic, but its all gone now.
PSS> Sorry for long post , but try and give all details....

Roota.

Has the temp warmed up. I have a Brewcraft kit in the fermenter which had the yeast pitched at 22 deg and it burped away nicely for 3 days but then stopped. The temp had fallen to 16, so I put a heat mat under the fermenter and wrapped in in a blanket. When it warmed to 18 the burping started again and hasnt stopped. This is day 5.

Hello Mantis
I have turned the imersion heater up, so at this point its prob on approx 17-18deg C.
I' ll give it a few more days see what happens.

Hello Mantis
I have turned the imersion heater up, so at this point its prob on approx 17-18deg C.
I' ll give it a few more days see what happens.

Hopefully it will start again.
I was in Ballarat on thursday and went and checked out the HBS. They were very helpful and I came away with a Sovereign Draught and Brewcraft Kilkeny kit. I think the obsession is setting in LOL

wow, coming from QLD i find it hard to imagine having this problem of a beer being TOO cool while fermenting...

you lucky *******, you lucky lucky *******!!

Lobby

wow, coming from QLD i find it hard to imagine having this problem of a beer being TOO cool while fermenting...

Lobby

LOL, you obviously havent been to Ballarat then. It can snow there in winter.

Roots

whats the FG supposed to be? If its only slightly lower than 1.020 than I wouldnt worry about it too much. If it still has a little way to go, then warming it back up to about 18C should help. What might also help is some gentle 'rolling' of the fermentor to mix that yeast back into suspension. Alternatively you can sterilise a spoon and gently mix it around a bit, just be casreful not too aierate it too much (you dont want to oxidise it or get an infection). A last resort is to pitch more yeast, but I wouldnt worry about that., A few gravity points wont make too much difference. I dont normally worry about it.

Lobby
Lobsta. Thats why we Mexicans come to QLD for holidays. Yeh Hah.

Roota

Roots

whats the FG supposed to be? If its only slightly lower than 1.020 than I wouldnt worry about it too much. If it still has a little way to go, then warming it back up to about 18C should help. What might also help is some gentle 'rolling' of the fermentor to mix that yeast back into suspension. Alternatively you can sterilise a spoon and gently mix it around a bit, just be casreful not too aierate it too much (you dont want to oxidise it or get an infection). A last resort is to pitch more yeast, but I wouldnt worry about that., A few gravity points wont make too much difference. I dont normally worry about it.

G,day
I thought final Sg had to be around the 1005-1008.
I'll give it a gentle shake tonight.
Ill call you re: keg mods.

Roota

G,day
I thought final Sg had to be around the 1005-1008.
I'll give it a gentle shake tonight.
Ill call you re: keg mods.

Roota

The real Q is what was the OG? As it may be fully attenuated.

The real Q is what was the OG? As it may be fully attenuated.

OG. ??/ Original Gravity I think. It was 1043
Hope I got that right, not up with all the abbreviations yet.
This was all K+K nil extra added.
I did state that it was Sov. Gold Lager. incorrect. Its actually Draught

Roota

1020 is far to high a FG.

give the carboy a gentle swirl and warm it up a few degrees.

i have an apa in my fermenting fridge atm, but the past few nights have been pretty bloody cold in tassie, and my fermenting fridge is in the shed. checked it earlier and the temp was down to 14C (had the fridgemate set to 18C with us-05 yeast). did a SG check and it was down to 1018 (OG around 1055 - 1060 iirc)

opened up the door of the fridge, and over the past couple of hours the temp has moved up to 16C and the airlock has started bubbling again.

should drop a couple more points yet.

Roota

heres a link to a basic calculator that should be of some use - link

Latest posts

Back