Help....over Shooting Pre Boil Gravity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
help i keep over shooting my pre boil gravity....

ok for example today i am brewing a mild with a o.g 1.036
my target pre boil og was 1.029 with 28 litres
my effitiancy is set at 80%
I had to add extra water to hit my target pre boil gravity (off by 4 points)
so i ended up with 28 litres at 1.033

should i of added water till the target was his or will my hop utilisation be way out??

am i over sparging?

is my effitiancy set too low??

is it possible to sparge and end up at your target gravity and pre boil volume??

Your pre-boil volume will be determined by the desired finishing volume plus the various losses throughout the process. So the solution to your issue is not changing the boil volume but changing your efficiency. A little less grain and you will be hitting your target.

help i keep over shooting my pre boil gravity....

ok for example today i am brewing a mild with a o.g 1.036
my target pre boil og was 1.029 with 28 litres
my effitiancy is set at 80%
I had to add extra water to hit my target pre boil gravity (off by 4 points)
so i ended up with 28 litres at 1.033

should i of added water till the target was his or will my hop utilisation be way out??

am i over sparging?

is my effitiancy set too low??

is it possible to sparge and end up at your target gravity and pre boil volume??

If you are using Beersmith enter the results (vol and gravity) into the brewhouse efficiency tool and then enter the resulting efficiency as your brewhouse efficiency for the next batch. A few pointers - don't include the extra water added to your volumes. Also if your next batch is a big beer, you won't achieve such a high efficiency. Brewers who repeat recipes are able to get a good handle on brewhouse efficiency, once this has been established adjustments can be made up or down from experience for varying malt bills.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Screwy

And your problem is.............??????????? :eek: :huh: :D

I was thinking the same warra....... :p

Just a question ... are you allowing for the increased temperature of your Wort when you are taking your pre boil temp.
If I put 1029 into Beersmith @ 30 degrees it equates to 1033.
the increased temp goives you a higher reading when you could be spot on your estimate @1029.
Just a thought !!!

Just a question ... are you allowing for the increased temperature of your Wort when you are taking your pre boil temp.
If I put 1029 into Beersmith @ 30 degrees it equates to 1033.
the increased temp goives you a higher reading when you could be spot on your estimate @1029.
Just a thought !!!

yeah i use a refactometer....

Latest posts

Back