***help New Brewer Plse***

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This doesn't sound good at all. Photo's, yes please

I agree, sounds too me that this batch is good as gone! the photos may tell the story though! Cosmo - this forum site is your best friend. This will teach you everything! and we all will offer advise to help.

it may be totally fine though. If gravity is dropping then its fermenting the stuff you see may be the krausen but you say blue??? that sounds strange

Blue!?! Could that have just been the light? If it's blue I wouldn't imbibe it, maybe just a personal thing. Perhaps read up just a bit, clean and sanitize the shit out of your fermenter and start another simple kit. It's really pretty easy, keep everything clean, within temperature and air tight and it'll take care of itself just fine. An $11 kit from k-mart with a pack of brew enhancer will taste better than you'd expect after 3 weeks in bottles. Plus the sense of accomplishment makes it even better.
Best.

Maybe it's sad. You could try dropping an anti-depressant in there....

Maybe it's sad. You could try dropping an anti-depressant in there....

Nice ... I liked that.

But on the subject of rainwater, i'm on my third brew now using unboiled tankwater and I certainly haven't had any issues.

hey guys thank you all for the advise,havent reopened the lid yet to photo what looked like blue (probably wasnt had been a long day yesterday) but airlock at the moment seems to be working so leaving it alone temp has dropped to 22. next Q is do i draw a sample off in the tube the hydrometer came in

hey guys thank you all for the advise,havent reopened the lid yet to photo what looked like blue (probably wasnt had been a long day yesterday) but airlock at the moment seems to be working so leaving it alone temp has dropped to 22. next Q is do i draw a sample off in the tube the hydrometer came in

Oh great, a question I can answer :D

drum roll ......

Yes!

(It had me stumped for a while - what should I put the sample in to measure Specific Gravity without using a full litre of beer? Oh yes, that little tube!)

You really need to measure the Specific Gravity before the yeast goes in (the Original Gravity), then that gives you something to go from... plus it gives you an excuse to keep tasting it as the brew goes along ;)

Let us know how it goes.

EDIT: and if you tell us exactly what you put in the brew, there's a good chance someone will tell you what the Original Gravity was ... then you'll be able to calculate how much hic is in your cup)

blue things in nature usually aren't edible :X

blue things in nature usually aren't edible :X

he.. ehmmm.. I personally know a few hippies that would disagree on this point.. however in brewing.. im with you... not sounding great..

VERY interested to hear how it turns out :)

Mmmm, Mushroom Lager. Imagine entering that into a competition.

Honestly Cosmo, just post your gravity reading here, and someone can tell you pretty much straight away if it's fermenting or not.

I have put down ciders in the past with no airlock bubbling, no foam on top, nor any other sign of fermentation. But hydro readings are a brewers friend, and are really the best way to know for sure.

First of all though, if youre not familiar with your hydro, try it first with cold tap water, it should read 1.000 or thereabouts. Then take a reading from your beer, and post the results.

hi guys well reading is at 1010 but not tasting the nicest rather tangy

Well there's no doubt it's fermenting then.

I wouldn't necessarily panic about a bit of a tang ... my first brew has a touch of that - hardly noticeable after half a glass :eek:

What kit were you using?

hahaha cheers shed yeh sort of the opinion im wondering myself wont really notice after the first couple bottles,coopers lager (green lid) 1st one i ve ever done but was in a brew shop today and saw some kits im keen on having a go at next

hahaha cheers shed yeh sort of the opinion im wondering myself wont really notice after the first couple bottles,coopers lager (green lid) 1st one i ve ever done but was in a brew shop today and saw some kits im keen on having a go at next

well, practice makes perfect ;)

If you're keen then don't be scared to have a tinker with a kit - have a good look around on here and find something you'd like to try out. Much better than wasting 23 litres and a few weeks waiting on an experiment that was never going to work.

im to old and work to hard to waste money cheers shed be a long time before i try and reinvent the wheel will be thoroughly discussed and researched

ok just done another reading as everything seems to have stopped and the readings now 1012 so am i wasting my time or what

OK a few ezy tips for you mate!

NEVER TRUST THE AIR LOCK! It means nothing! I know its nice to watch it and it might even give you warm fuzzy feelings deep inside! But honestly it means not much at all!

Next time you make a brew, after you have filled it all up to 23L but before you put the yeast in! Fill up your little tube half way! Then chuck it down the sink and rince your tube, ( what you are doing here is getting rid of any thick gunk that may be stuck in the tap, that may give you a wrong reading) Then fill your tube all the way up and take a reading now write it down) now you can put in the yeast wack the lid on and pop in the silly air lock!

Now about 6 or 7 days later do the same thing, Open the tap and fill your tube half way chuck out the think crap, rince tube then fill up all the way and take a reading! If the reading is diffrent from when you first took it 6 or 7 days ago that means its fermenting!

Now do the same thing 24hrs later, if the readings the same it should have finished fermenting! so that means you can bottle or keg! :) HAPPY DAYS!

For your current beer 1010 1012 sounds about right but just give it 1 more day to be safe! Try not to let the brew get to hot! try not to let it go 0ver 24! keep it around 18c - 20c it will not taste the best now but will improve after 2 weeks in the bottle, and be even better after 3 or 4 weeks!

thanks aussie joshand thanks to everyone thats been helping on my very 1st brew will be bottled and stored tuesday night now and then get it all cleaned and ready for next one

Latest posts

Back