Help Needed Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working that out is purely a balancing act based on what you want from your beer. Doing the same recipe but making one all dex and one all dried malt will give you an idea of where your balance lies.

This also depends on recipe - an english bitter is usually maltier/thicker/sweeter/ than an aussie lager.

ok here a quick question for you
i have a wet pack going right now it was at 22d so i decided to put the fermenter in a bucket of cold fridge water and 4 large ice blocks and the bubling from the air lock stoped amlost stright away. well it has slowed right down so i am gussing its becaude of thr rapid temp drop
will this do any damage to my brew.i boiled it up and put it down sunday arvo

i have a wet pack going right now it was at 22d so i decided to put the fermenter in a bucket of cold fridge water and 4 large ice blocks and the bubling from the air lock stoped amlost stright away. well it has slowed right down so i am gussing its becaude of thr rapid temp drop

i have noticed that sometimes when i move a fermenter the airlock flow appears to stop for no reason. i have put this down to when u lift it it squeezes out the built up co2 and therefore once u place it in its new spot it takes a little while for the co2 to build back up, at least thats the theory i came up with :D . presuming u only dropped the temp a few degrees with the ice bath i wouldnt think this would be significant enough to put the brakes on the yeast, but dont take my word for it

cheers
matt

Well i did make a gergling sound as i moved it which could be the co2 geting out
and it seem to happe almost stright away i will check it later on befor i go to bed and see whats going then thanks mat

ok so what sort of combo of dry malt and dextros would you guys use 50/50 or somthing like 70/30 mix
i think i may make up two more brews one with just detros and one with a combo of dry malt and dex

Some of the more experienced guys might be better qualified to answer but this is what i would do:-

Keep a log, spread sheet, book, note pad or what ever. Make notes.
Take small steps & make small changes.
Do side by side brews as you said with one dex & one BE2 or whatever.
Take more notes.
I have very little experience with steeping, but what experience i do have is if adding to kit brews without boiling the kit, it's easy to over hop, especially on bitterness(correct me if i'm wrong guys)

Just my limited experience.

Well i did make a gergling sound as i moved it which could be the co2 geting out
and it seem to happe almost stright away i will check it later on befor i go to bed and see whats going then thanks mat

Prob the fermenter flexing like Matt said

Once fermentation has started, it generally won't stop until it runs out of food (sugarz) or drops below its recommended ferment temp. To give you an idea safale US05 is recommended for 15-24C. Keeping it around the 19-20 range would be ideal. As long as it doesn't drop below 15C, fermentation will continue, just at a slightly slower rate so the bubbling might not be as noticable. What you want is a slow even fermentation and temps around 23 and up will start to bring out fruity tasting esters. Give it plenty of time to make sure its finished at a temp of around 18-20.

In other words: no it won't do any damage to your brew B)

one thing I keep forgetting is take the airlock out befor moving the fermenter as if its left it it can suck all the water from the airlock into the fermenter. I always forget to remove it but havn't had a infection but after the first time I fill with a little sanitising with the water.

well all is good and it's back and bubbling away nicley
and the temp is back to between 18d to 20d
thanks for you help guys
and i see how i go with this one wether or not i go back to doing a kit ever ??? :icon_chickcheers:

well all is good and it's back and bubbling away nicley
and the temp is back to between 18d to 20d
thanks for you help guys
and i see how i go with this one wether or not i go back to doing a kit ever ??? :icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back