Help Needed - I Stuffed It!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Coopers fermenters are out by 1 litre, the 23ltr mark on it is actually 24ltrs.. Ive got a Brigalow one aswell and the 23ltr mark is just at the bottom of the handles..

:icon_chickcheers:

You may well have just explained why my beers are undercarbed !! I'll have to measure the capacity after I rack tomorrow.

I bet those fermenters do display the correct volume reading... when empty. As soon as you put 23L of liquid in it the container changes shape due to the hydrostatic pressure

Well i bottled my first batch yesterday, smelt okay and tasted okay...so today, what did i do... Brewed my 2nd batch.

This time its a kit of a golden ale/amber ale clone with a tin of coopers pale ale. I was told this would keep it closer to the Golden ale style which i prefer slightly. This time to get the pitching temp down, i chucked in 2 lunch box sized blocks of ice and filled with cool water. I have half submerged it in cool water in the laundry trough, with a soaked towel wrapped around the top as well. Think it is sitting at about 18 - 20 degrees. This should be about right for an ale yeah?

Ok well the first batch turned out pretty crappy with a real harsh after taste.

I am looking at maybe trying extract brewing but i really need some direction/instructions on whats involved. Are there any threads on this...cant seem to find one.

The Coopers fermenters are out by 1 litre, the 23ltr mark on it is actually 24ltrs.. Ive got a Brigalow one aswell and the 23ltr mark is just at the bottom of the handles..

:icon_chickcheers:

Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, it just took 6 litres of water to reach the 5L mark on my Cooper's plastic fermenter

i have been lead to believe that the marking on the coopers fermenter is how much you can get out
ie there is 1 litre left when emptied

Back