Help Me With A Recipe 2!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemacky

Reaction score
Hey, this threads a little different to the original.

I'm thinking of this as a sort of similar recipe to the clone of beez neez posted a while ago, and just lloking for some feedback. Will this be alright?

Toucan
Coopers Candian Blonde x 2
500g Honey
250g Light dry malt
30ml vanilla essence

Keep in mind that I'm looking for a fairly high alcohol %, but also keep in mind that hops are out of the question, because I simply don't have time to get to the HBS.

I'm also wondering however, will the alcohol in the vanilla essence be bad for the yeast? I suppose I'm willing to get a vanilla bean, but they're sooo expensive! :| Also, how long do you think the estimated brew time would be at about 22 degrees C? I'm leaving for Spain soon, and need to bottle before I go, obviously.

Thanks heaps.

If your after vanilla beans I would check out ebay, I bought some great ones, nice and soft - 10 for $7 including postage.

Wack one or two of these in your brew and you will be laughing.

wow, i wouldnt have though u could buy stuff like that off ebay.
How long till you go to spain?

I'm thinking of this as a sort of similar recipe to the clone of beez neez posted a while ago, and just lloking for some feedback. Will this be alright?

Toucan
500g Honey
250g Light dry malt
30ml vanilla essence
Keep in mind that I'm looking for a fairly high alcohol %, but also keep in mind that hops are out of the question, because I simply don't have time to get to the HBS.
I'm also wondering however, will the alcohol in the vanilla essence be bad for the yeast? I suppose I'm willing to get a vanilla bean, but they're sooo expensive! :| Also, how long do you think the estimated brew time would be at about 22 degrees C? I'm leaving for Spain soon, and need to bottle before I go, obviously.
Thanks heaps.

chemacky
- fill in your location details so people can tell you about closest HB stores etc.
- you dont need to go to a HB store to get hops. you can get them mailed. any reputable HBS should get you fresh hops quickly through the mail. obviously depending on where you are will depend on how quickly you get it. I have bought yeast off Ross (craftbrewer) and it was delivered 2 days after I actually placed my order. so it can be quick.

- I havent seen that recipe for beez neez before. not sure the vanilla would make it a clone. it should be nice though. I'd give it 2 weeks in primary and one in secondary as a preferance. only because you almost have 2.5kg of fermentables.

- I might have gone with a wheat wort rather than 2xCanadian blonde. maybe one of each? But Beez Neez is definitely meant to have light wheat characteristics (according to the matilda bay brewing notes).

- I'd also up the amount of honey as you are using 2 cans of wort and 500g of honey flavour might be lost, but be carfeul as you dont want a massive %alc either (recipe as is I calulate it at about 6.9% in 22L - but prob slightly off as im not sure how well honey ferments. I counted it as equivilent to liquid malt extract).

Toucan
500g Honey
250g Light dry malt
30ml vanilla essence
Thanks heaps.

Hey there - I recently finished a brew with similar quants of malt - came out fine in 2 weeks, it ran at about 23-23.5 degrees (higher than normal for my brews, which might have been due to the yeast I used - a belgian abbey 1762).

- I'd also up the amount of honey as you are using 2 cans of wort and 500g of honey flavour might be lost, but be carfeul as you dont want a massive %alc either (recipe as is I calulate it at about 6.9% in 22L - but prob slightly off as im not sure how well honey ferments. I counted it as equivilent to liquid malt extract).

If you use a good quality honey then you'd be surprised how little of it you need to get the flavour coming through. 500g isn't going to make it as honey-ful as Beez Neez but it will give you a nice aftertaste. The other thing to remember is that honey makes a brew drier and not sweeter so a lot of honey will make it really dry. It depends what you are looking for.

Alright, it's looking more and more like this brew might have to wait until I get back from Spain (I leave on the 28th, btw). I was hoping to let it condition while I was away, but I'm sure I'll live. Also, I live in Canberra, and usually it's not hard to get hops or to the HBS, however before I leave for Spain it is quite difficult. :(

Thanks for the quick responses, and now I have a few more questions:

What exactly is a dry beer? I've never quite understood this.

Citymorgue2: You say you calculate this brew to be approximately 6.9%, may I ask how you calculated this? I was aiming for the beer to be approx 7.5%. Is this high alcohol going to 'damage' the taste of the beer?

Also, I didn't seem to find and answer to weather the high alcohol percentage in the vanilla essence would be a yeast killer/hurter?

These are the changes you've convinced me to make so far:

Coopers Canadian blonde
Some form of Wheat can (probably "brewiser" unless I get around to getting to the HBS)
1kg Honey
250g Light dry malt
1-2 vanilla beans/30ml vanilla essence

Feedback round 2! :)

Thanks heaps guys!

ps. Screwtop: Unfortunately, I'm goign Spain to play Indoor soccer, so not a lot of beer drinking will be on the cards. :'(

What exactly is a dry beer? I've never quite understood this.

Dryness in beer (or wine or spirits) is effectively the removal of all sweetness from the flavour. It's a bit hard to describe in words but Corona is dry, Kilkenny is not. In the wine world, sauvignon blanc is dry and moselle is not.

There's certainly nothing wrong with it if that's what you are looking for but I was just trying to highlight the fact for you because many people think that honey sweetens a brew.

Citymorgue2: You say you calculate this brew to be approximately 6.9%, may I ask how you calculated this? I was aiming for the beer to be approx 7.5%. Is this high alcohol going to 'damage' the taste of the beer?

Also, I didn't seem to find and answer to weather the high alcohol percentage in the vanilla essence would be a yeast killer/hurter?
I used a simple calculator. Its not fantastic and there are other ones on AHB that other HB have listed but I cant find them.

7.5% is ok. a higher %alc means that some yeats will die. there are strains of yest that handle higher %alc better. but 7.5% will be ok. just use a decent yeast like Safale, muntons etc or 2 packs of normal yeast from under the lid of cans of wort. that much fermentables you'll need 2 packs of yeast

I dont recon the high %alc of vanilla essence will do anything as your only using a small amount. if you were really worried you could put the essence in about week into fermentation or if you put it into a secondary container.

I make your new receipe to be 7.6% if you fill up to 22L. give or take a bit

Latest posts

Back