Help Me Choose A Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julzmma

Reaction score
I'm after some suggestions. *I AM VERY NEW TO BEER*

I was never a beer drinker. Always Bourban / whiskey / scotch drinker and only resorted to beer when I ran out of everything else. All my friends are beer drinkers and think they know it all. One works at a bottle-o, one has been home brewing for a few years and the others just love drinking different beers.

What are some beers I can bring next party which will impress and taste good and not too pricey?

My findings so far are,

Carlton Draught is my go to beer, good price and I like the taste.

Coronas I like on hot days

Lager I don't seem to digg at all, tried a few brands.

Mountain goat was good but couldnt drink more then 1 or 2 (found it to crisp? from memory)

FatYak same as above

Beezneez was too sweet and could only have 1 or 2

Coopers pale ale and sparkling ale I found good but not a 100% digg yet.

heineken didn't mind

becks didnt mind (cant remember out of becks or heine but one tastes a bit watery)

Settela artios dont like (dont know why, or cant remember)

Another reason I want to try different beers is to eventually copy and home brew! :)

AH A TRUE NEWBIE!!!!

Do you have a Dan Murphy's or 1st Choice near you?
Head down there, and grab one of each beer.

Sometimes they have some good specials on imported slabs for $40ish
Make sure you check the packaging of euro beers. Sometimes they're brewed under licence here, and the taste is always different.

I'm no great lager fan either, but have a try at a few Czech lagers, like Kozel, Budvar and Pilsner Urquel.

Do you like dark beers? If not, I suggest giving a few a try anyway and getting a taste for some awesome winter beers.

I was never a beer drinker. Always Bourban / whiskey / scotch drinker and only resorted to beer when I ran out of everything else. All my friends are beer drinkers and think they know it all. One works at a bottle-o, one has been home brewing for a few years and the others just love drinking different beers.

What are some beers I can bring next party which will impress and taste good and not too pricey?

My findings so far are,

Mountain goat was good but couldnt drink more then 1 or 2 (found it to crisp? from memory)

FatYak same as above

heineken didn't mind

becks didnt mind (cant remember out of becks or heine but one tastes a bit watery)

Another reason I want to try different beers is to eventually copy and home brew! :)

You are a beer Noob! I suggest you visit a Dans or 1st Choice and buy a German Hefeweizen (Schofferhoffer) a Belgian Strong Ale (Duvel or Chimay), an American Pale Ale (say a Murrays Nirvana), an English Extra Special Bitter (Fullers ESB), and a Northern English Brown Ale (Hobgoblin). This will provide you with five styles to try. Belgians can be popular with developing beer palates that are not used to big hoppy beers. A good go to beer if you don't have time to begin your beer training, would be James Squire Golden Ale. Ales are like the red wines if the beer world, big complex beverages with lots of complexity - colour, flavour and aroma. The result of this being that they can be a little self limiting as you found with the Mountaingoat. They are not like megaswilling lagers! It's more about the beer (colour flavour and aroma) than seeing how much you can get down your neck in a short time.

Anyway, welcome to the world of beer, a long journey begun, great experiences to come.

Screwy

Coopers pale and sparkling ale is a good alternate choice, it should be mainstream enough to find at most places, but also satisfy your home-brew-beer-snob-buddies.

As for the belgians, a good starting block is the Leffe range. The blonde is delicious, and after that there's thousands to choose from.

May I also suggest buying a return ticket to Europe and a Eurail ticket? Have a different beer in every town.

My findings so far are,

FatYak same as above

heineken didn't mind

I don't know if you are trying to impress your mates or you want to brew good beer? Sounds like you are not brewing yet but are willing to have a go?

Mate, if your trying to impress your mates for a one off occasion go to Dan's (or similar) , I'd think they would be happy with what you find there and purchase to budget.
It sounds like you are not brewing yourself ATM so I'd suggest stick with good quality ,tasty beers like Little creatures, squires, coopers,etc all at budget prices.
Take your time and try many different beers to see what is good for you.
Like you said, you're a spirit drinker so the appreciation of beer may take some time and many samples to make an decision.Enjoy the research. :icon_drunk: :
Daz

Ok you said, (Lager you dont seem to dig), well there are many types of lager including Carlton Draught ! Corect me if im wrong boys but thats made with a lager yeast!?
you see there are two main types of beer LAGER and ALE, And with in those two you can make a lot of diffrent beers with diffrent flavours!
But as someone above said give Little creatures pale ale a crack or James squire Golden Ale a crack! you may enjoy them? and your freiends!? (there both Ale)
As far as Lagers you may enjoy try little creatures Pills, James Squire sundown lager or from Coopers, Coopers Lager, Coopers 62 Pils or coopers Clear!
Good luck with your beer tastings! :)

Yep. Give James squire a go (golden, amber, sundown) and definitly try little creatures. Also try snowy mountains brewery. You can get any of these from any Dan murpheys or 1st choice

What you need is something smokey, sorry I don't know what that is in commercial brews but I suggest you give Craftbrewer, or the like a call. As for homebrew... this will require a smoked grain. I do recall having a beer brewed with smoked grain, and I do love a scotch wiskey, and it was great.

Gavo.

I'm confused, you cant digg Lager but you don't mind Becks, Heineken, Coronas and Carlton Draught.
Which Lagers didn't you like?

Wow you _Are_ new

You Say I don't like lager then name about 5 lagers that you like ... Carlton Draught, Corona, Becks, Stella, Heinken, - Are all lagers... I'm afraid !!

;)

Seriously though most of the guys got it right here:

This chart may help heaps - Help us to help you ...

Attached Or many variants available:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/masterlink87/handy...avor-chart-13fq

So start thinking about whether you like sweet/bitter/sour/light or dark ad you'll find a general quadrant the guys here can recommend heaps of beers from that quadrant

Welcome Noobie ...

:D

I'm confused, you cant digg Lager but you don't mind Becks, Heineken, Coronas and Carlton Draught.

Oops forgot the upload button...
Doh! Now who's the newbie ?

;)

Beer_Flavour_chart.jpg

+1 All the beers quoted above are lagers. :huh:

I know not all these are at a nice price point but They're worth checking out.

Lager
Pilsner = Perla
Bohemian Pilsner = Matilda Bay Pilsner
Doppelbock = Weihenstephan Korbinian

Ale
Pale Ale = Little Creatures Pale Ale / Coopers Pale Ale / Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Trappist = Chimay Blue
India Pale Ale = Mikkeller Stateside IPA
Double India Pale Ale = Great Divide Hercules
Wheat = Bootleg Brewery Sou' West Wheat
Belgian White = Hoegaarden

Edit: I prefer the beeriodic table.

http://gustatorylibationfront.blogspot.com...eer-styles.html

If you can find it, try Red Hill Belgian Blonde. It is one of the most likeable beers I have ever had, same with Murrays Endless Summer and probably their new sassy blonde.

If you want to impress your mates and still have something you like drinking then try:

Duvel
Leffe Blond
DAB
Kozel
Little Creatures Pale or bright ale

All are tasty, pale and will have something that makes you think 'beer'. While I definitely recommend that you start trying things like chimay, fullers ESB, london pride and oatmeal stout, Young's special and chocolate stout, Hobgoblin, Black Sheep ale, Schneider's Aventinus, etc it might be best to introduce the palate to new flavours gradually. The above are all pale, some are hoppy, some are strong, some are estery but all will be in line with what the average mind thinks is beer (probably due simply to colour). If you suck back a Rochefort 8 straight off the back your mind might get messed up.

So, as a fan of people deliberately messing up their mind, I say get a rochefort 8 and a Scherlenka Marzen Rauchbier and please don't suck it straight from the bottle. If your friends aren't impressed with that then bring out the bottle of 30 YO cask strength Ardbeg.

+1 for little creatures bright ale. It was probably the first beer to introduce me to the wide world of flavour in beer. It is modest enough to be enjoyed by the megaswill crowd yet has a delicate hopy aroma and taste in a pale beer that goes down WAAYYY too easy.

Back