Help Me Choose A Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if you are trying to impress your mates or you want to brew good beer? Sounds like you are not brewing yet but are willing to have a go?

Mate, if your trying to impress your mates for a one off occasion go to Dan's (or similar) , I'd think they would be happy with what you find there and purchase to budget.
It sounds like you are not brewing yourself ATM so I'd suggest stick with good quality ,tasty beers like Little creatures, squires, coopers,etc all at budget prices.
Take your time and try many different beers to see what is good for you.
Like you said, you're a spirit drinker so the appreciation of beer may take some time and many samples to make an decision.Enjoy the research. :
Daz

I have my first brew still at fermentation stage :)

What you need is something smokey, sorry I don't know what that is in commercial brews but I suggest you give Craftbrewer, or the like a call. As for homebrew... this will require a smoked grain. I do recall having a beer brewed with smoked grain, and I do love a scotch wiskey, and it was great.

Gavo.

Never thought about that but will defenately give it a go!

I'm confused, you cant digg Lager but you don't mind Becks, Heineken, Coronas and Carlton Draught.
Which Lagers didn't you like?

haha, I so didnt know they were lagers! My introductions to lagers where the likes of VB and I had a boags that was a lager and didnt fancy it but it was in between having coopers ale

Wow you _Are_ new

You Say I don't like lager then name about 5 lagers that you like ... Carlton Draught, Corona, Becks, Stella, Heinken, - Are all lagers... I'm afraid !!

Seriously though most of the guys got it right here:

This chart may help heaps - Help us to help you ...

Attached Or many variants available:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/masterlink87/handy...avor-chart-13fq

So start thinking about whether you like sweet/bitter/sour/light or dark ad you'll find a general quadrant the guys here can recommend heaps of beers from that quadrant

Welcome Noobie ...

This is the sort of thing i have been looking for! Because I had no idea the catergories of beer!

Thanks everyone for your input and looks like im going on a spending spree!

The other night I went to go get a pile of different beers to try but safeway was only open... All they had was VB, Tooheys some coopers and beezneez etc. That failed. So maybe Dan murphys from no on!Also I dont know if i mentioned now but ive turned. Its been beers ive been drinking lately and not spirits!!

:icon_chickcheers: Cheers all :beerbang:

Something to be aware of,
Don't rite a beer off from one or a first tasting. They can vary a lot from batch to batch as well as how a particular retailer has stored it. Also, it can depend on your mood and more importantly how you set your palate up for the particular drink. Take into account what you have had to drink or eat prior to drinking the brew and other factors, e.g. is it a winters day or a hot summer day, are you thirsty, are you in the mood for a big session etc. Most importantly match your beer up with something suitable and complementary to eat.
Cheers,
Boagsy

What you might want to take a look at is this: the BJCP.
Its the guidelines used to judge beers, particularly in homebrew competition.
You may find it useful not only to get an understanding of different styles, but there are also many popular/well-known commercial examples of these styles list...though in some case many of them are microbeers from the US we can't get here.
Either way, it's well worth a read if you're keen about beers and different styles.

Latest posts

Back