Help, I've Created A Monster!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question, I can't remember. I think it was so clear after CC I was affraid there would be not enough yeast to carbonate it. But more like I just had some dry yeast around and just wanted to use it. Sounds odd I know. It seems sooooo long ago now. It was a sensational beer though. So bright and clear and one of the few I would call a clone.

Steve

Good question, I can't remember. I think it was so clear after CC I was affraid there would be not enough yeast to carbonate it. But more like I just had some dry yeast around and just wanted to use it. Sounds odd I know. It seems sooooo long ago now. It was a sensational beer though. So bright and clear and one of the few I would call a clone.

Steve

thanks Steve,

I think I might give your recipe a try and bottle half the batch with a secondary yeast and leave the other half alone. As luck would have it I have just about everything I need to brew it except time....

cheers

grant

Nice recipe SJW, not far different from mine. I will post mine when I get home.

Cheers.

kook, just to clarify what I said earlier...
It was perhaps poorly worded....when I said limit of attenuation, I should have more correctly said limit of fermentability, irrespective of the yeast involved; that was working on dextrose being a monohydrate with only 92% sugar content on the molar level. I have no doubt that many belgian yeasts attenuate into the high 90's, as you said, and in such a case, the maltose content would actually have more sugar available for conversion than the dextrose content.

Edit...you get so used to dex being the more fermentable than malt, you forget that if the yeasts attenuation is higher than the actual sugar content in the dex, that would possibly reverse. I stand corrected. ^_^

Nice recipe SJW, not far different from mine. I will post mine when I get home.

Cheers.
thanks Steve,

I think I might give your recipe a try and bottle half the batch with a secondary yeast and leave the other half alone. As luck would have it I have just about everything I need to brew it except time....

cheers

grant

Yea, It ain't rocket science, a Belgian strong ale is all about good yeast and temp control. That extra yeast at bottling is not required at all, and I would not do it again. And dont get hung up on the sugar thing, normal CSR sugar is more than fine. Over the years I have made enough with and without invert and all the belgian candy sugars to be convinced that normal CSR sugar is perfect.

Steve

I think you're still confusing real attenuation and apparent attenuation, butters. If you have 90% AA then that's only 72% real attenuation or so (depends on the OG). So that's not really that close to the fermentability of dextrose.

Or am I confused about what you're saying which is very possible today. :)

I think you're still confusing real attenuation and apparent attenuation, butters. If you have 90% AA then that's only 72% real attenuation or so (depends on the OG). So that's not really that close to the fermentability of dextrose.

Or am I confused about what you're saying which is very possible today. :)

I'm talking about apparant....i think....i'm tired and emotional, i've been out all day drinking commercial beer and I think its addled my brain.......oh wait....duh, the pennies just dropped. :rolleyes: Thanks stuster.

Hey all,

Unfortunately my recipe for the beer in question is at a mates house, but here is my original Belgian which i brewed a few weeks back. A mate was over to stay for the week and we set a new record by knocking a whole keg off top to toe in 2 days, cracking the keg the instant it was carbonated, so it didnt get much time to CC, hence the re-brew.

The latest batch was similar, take the below recipe, add 1kg of dex, minus the caramunich, and I believe I substituted a different hop for the Goldings as I had run out. The astute among you will recognize the rip-off, which was kinda unintentional. Being my first Belgian I took inspiration from many sources and had my recipe practically formulated when I found TDAs Belgian recipe, and it was near identical. Thats not to say i didnt borrow an idea or two, hence i named him after his older brother...

Cheers TDA!

Blowfly Belgian Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-B Belgian & French Ale, Belgian Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.25
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.15
Anticipated SRM: 5.6
Anticipated IBU: 25.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.06 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.25 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
85.7 4.50 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
9.5 0.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 2
1.9 0.10 kg. Weyermann Melanoidin Germany 1.037 36
2.9 0.15 kg. Weyermann Caramunich I Germany 1.036 51

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.00 g. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 23.5 60 min.
20.00 g. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 2.4 15 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1214 Belgian Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Happy Valley Water
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 27.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 17.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 77.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 60.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 135.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 73.0 ppm

pH: 7.30

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.25
Water Qts: 18.25 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 17.27 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.29 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 65 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 80 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume L: 20.78 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Back