Help Bottled To Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was reading this thread I couldn't help but thinking:

What a great argument for PET bottles.

Now I use some glass and some PET, I have found some very nice 500ml glass bottles that are just the right amount of beer, but I ALWAYS put a few of every batch into PET. That way I can feel the pressure. After a few batches I have pretty well calibrated my suqeezing hand, I can FEEL what the pressure is like in the batch.

Even if you bottle in glass, a box of PET from K-Mart to put 1 or 2 in each batch may be a worthwhile addition to your brewing equipment.

+1
every batch

... but I ALWAYS put a few of every batch into PET. That way I can feel the pressure.
Yep, standard practice for me.

Wouldn't you run a very real risk of oxidising the brew trying to get it back into the FV?
Plus one - unless you have some kind of pump system that you could siphon
from each bottle and keep the outlet below liquid level, or you are going to
drink the bottles quickly.

No one has mentioned:

you could always put the whole lot back into a CLEAN fermenter and let it bubble out for a week;
and rebottle.

Probably because it's not a very good idea.

Beer being 1012 is hardly an argument for the supremacy of plastic.

It's an argument for learning about what expected gravity should be before bottling and in most cases 1012 is hardly extreme. Almost all of my regular sacch beers finish 1010-1012, I bottle in glass, knowing they have finished properly and look - no explosions.

The pet idea is a good one for when you start out, gives some piece of mind while you learn. Sounds like a bit of over kill once you understand your fg's of your brewing but each to his own..

Almost all of my regular sacch beers finish 1010-1012, I bottle in glass, knowing they have finished properly and look - no explosions.

Explained exactly the same thing to a friend in pub just a few weeks ago. She was worried that 1011 was too high to finish. "Bah" I said.

Latest posts

Back