Help Bottled To Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
i think i bottled my beer to early its been 9 days and the gravity was stable for 3 days so i bottled. its only been bottled for a day and they have a fair bit of yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle so i opened one and it was already carbonated so are they stuffed or can open them to let the pressure out and re cap them? The recipe was toucans one coopers pale one coopers dark ale about 270g of brew enhancer 2 kit yeast from both and about half a pack of us05 i had left over the og was 1047 the fg was 1012 stable over three days, what should i do?

9 days ferment and 3 days stable sg seems right. it might be that u added too much sugar for priming. what temp are they stored at? if high temp (25-30 deg) then theyll carb up quicker.

just leave them. If they are in glass bottles cover them with a towel incase of bottle bombs and keep kids away. report back after 2 weeks conditioning, if over carbed then release pressure and re cap.

I had similar issues with almost the same brew. Cracked one after 3 days and already carbonated. Used coopers drops in this one. Didn't worry about it as had a towel over it. Not one went bang! Good drop to. Have faith and the beer will be fine i think! Keep temp lower if possible.

Sorry, have nothing to add to this but smile and remember back 15 years when I was in a very similar stuation, but didn't have this forum to be guided by. Provided they don't start going bang then all is good, just be wary of spouters when drinking time comes around. :D

Sorry, have nothing to add to this but smile and remember back 15 years when I was in a very similar stuation, but didn't have this forum to be guided by. Provided they don't start going bang then all is good, just be wary of spouters when drinking time comes around. :D
chill them down before opening

And JUST in case, get some of these:

Fuglies SAS Ballistic Clears
space.gif

img-adf6.jpg

space.gif

Designed specifically for breach entry work. Our premium frame with padded nose grip and detatchable vented foam lens gasket, and lenses impact rated to a massive 205m/s - conforms to ANSI Z87.1 and US military MIL-PRF-31013 (MIL-STD-662) standards.

From what I have read it should be okay, but I have my own concern... I bottled last night and put them into my ferm fridge, unfortunately we had some type of power glitch and put put my control system into heating mode at 2AM. By the time I woke up at 7AM and checked it on my phone it got to 27degrees. I immediately went and fixed the situation and it is now cooling back down to 20, but it is possible that I have taken them to the point of maybe being overcarbed?

Also, in the 3-4 hours that they would have been at that temp could they be rubbish now? I hope not because the brew was actually good before putting in there and I don't want to test one yet...

I suppose I will find out in a few days when I crack one open.

I really doubt a few hours of high heat is going to be detrimental to your beer- carb or flavour wise . You should be okay.

OK Edak I don't normally do this, but you seem like a good guy so I'm going to do you a favour.

Send the whole batch to my place.
I will store them for a bit and I will drink them all. I'll let you know if they were over-carbed or not, so that you'll know for next time.

OK Edak I don't normally do this, but you seem like a good guy so I'm going to do you a favour.

Send the whole batch to my place.
I will store them for a bit and I will drink them all. I'll let you know if they were over-carbed or not, so that you'll know for next time.

Yeah.....nah... :)

I think I will risk it.

Should be right mate.

Carb drops (2 to a tallie ) will be on the high side of carbed anyway.

Cover the bottles just in case and all should be good.

I've had the same issue with a brew I did not that long ago. It's proably the US-05 yeast, its known to stay in suspension for longer than normal.

Hi first time post, I had a similar problem with my second brew (corona kit beer), I was sure I had everything right, correct FG and all for my brew, all was good until about 15 days later when around 20 of them went bang. I asked the bloke at the homebrew shop who said it sounded like I bottled too early, he advised to open one warm (of the ones that survived) and if it fizzes over like a champagne bottle then get them in the fridge, chill and drink as quick as you can coz there is a good chance the rest may go.

I've been told that temperature doesnt affect the beer once bottled but have read a lot contradicting this, since having 20 blow up (inside and on carpet) i've moved all other batches outside into the shed, I have a James Squire Golden ale clone and soon will have a redback clone done. Bad move?

I have several more questions but dont want to take over this post, I hope your beer doesnt fizz over like a champagne bottle

If you are game enough to cool them,keep them in a milk crate or carton in the frige.
I would cover them with a corn bag or carpet and take the tops off and reseal them.{This lets the pressure go].
I f you have any protective gear like safety glasses,welders helmet ,etc I would wear this too.
I presume they are glass bottles and can be dangerous.
Otherwise stay away from them till they all explode.
wombil.

Wrap each bottle individually in several layers of glad wrap. Be liberal with the wrap and careful with the bottles.

Depending on what else was in the brew, 1012 isn't stupid and probably won't result in exploding bottles unless you added enzyme or over primed.

Opened one of these the other day it had only been conditioning for a week. It wasnt a gusher and the carbonation was good but it was very bitter will the bitterness disapate with time or will it be that bitter no matter how long it conditions for?

Opened one of these the other day it had only been conditioning for a week. It wasnt a gusher and the carbonation was good but it was very bitter will the bitterness disapate with time or will it be that bitter no matter how long it conditions for?

The bitterness may mellow, but in my experience, it's pretty much the last thing to fade

While I was reading this thread I couldn't help but thinking:

What a great argument for PET bottles.

Now I use some glass and some PET, I have found some very nice 500ml glass bottles that are just the right amount of beer, but I ALWAYS put a few of every batch into PET. That way I can feel the pressure. After a few batches I have pretty well calibrated my suqeezing hand, I can FEEL what the pressure is like in the batch.

Even if you bottle in glass, a box of PET from K-Mart to put 1 or 2 in each batch may be a worthwhile addition to your brewing equipment.

No one has mentioned:

you could always put the whole lot back into a CLEAN fermenter and let it bubble out for a week;
and rebottle. Depends on how confindent you are of your CLEANLINESS.

Remember to use whatever safety equipment you have when eopening and probably chill them as well to reduce the pressure.

Always put your own safety ahead of saving a batch of beer, you can always remake the beer, your eyes are less replaceable!

Back