Hello from Darwin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jegsp

Reaction score
Gday Brewers.

I am up in Darwin and just getting into home brewing.

I've had a look at a couple of the beginners kits on the Coopers website and also been into the local OzBrew store for a gander at their FV's.

I am looking to do some extract brews initially. I've got a few recipes from the Coopers app. Wondering how transferable some of the grain steeping and hop steeping recipes are using the local OzBrew TUBS kits vs the readily available Coopers tins.

I've got another month to stew on what newbie setup I get and what extract recipe I end up going with.

Looking forward to reading through the forums and getting others opinions.

Cheers

James

G'day jegsp,
Welcome aboard, Darwin certainly has the right climate for breeding a thirst.
Regarding coopers vs homebrew shop extract recipes, probably best off to have a chat with the people at your Local Home Brew Shop when you've decided on your first beer, hopefully they'll sort you out with the right ingredients and a guideline for the process.
With a bit of reading/YouTube watching/forum searching you can't go too wrong with Coopers kits, they're like automatic transmissions.

My old Val was an auto and never had reverse...

You can easily **** up a coopers or other extract kit, the temperature in Darwin is your enemy here.. You'll need some form of temperature control. A fridge running on a stc1000 (or itc1000 if you choose a forum sponsor) will get you there. Keep an eye out for a freebie or at least cheap one and get that end sorted first.

Cheers

Hi Jegsp,

Welcome to both the forum & Darwin.
Try the T.U.B.S from Ozbrew. It can give you a taste as to whether you think brewing is for you. If you use the coopers kits, just be aware you don't need to heat any water to add to the fermenter. Our tap water comes out at 30 degrees as it is.
Until you work out whether brewing is for you, I wouldn't invest in temperature control, that, can come further down the track. Use the ale yeast from Ozbrew for your first batch, that yeast seems to handle our higher temperatures without throwing any harsh flavours.
You'll have a learning curve ahead of you with brewing. Well worth it.
Regards

Chris

Old Bloke said:
Hi Jegsp,

Try the T.U.B.S from Ozbrew. It can give you a taste as to whether you think brewing is for you. If you use the coopers kits, just be aware you don't need to heat any water to add to the fermenter. Our tap water comes out at 30 degrees as it is.
Until you work out whether brewing is for you, I wouldn't invest in temperature control, that, can come further down the track. Use the ale yeast from Ozbrew for your first batch, that yeast seems to handle our higher temperatures without throwing any harsh flavours.
Regards

Chris
appalling advice...

get temp control and use any yeast you like on any brew you like... temp control is one of the best brewing investments you can make, and it need not cost **** all.. get it right and be rewarded with every brew you make.

Old Bloke said:
Hi Jegsp,

Regards

Chris
I dunno about that mate. I got back into brewing up in Darwin year before last with one of Ozbrews TUBS kits. Not sure what the yeast strain was but the beer I made from it was terrible without temperature control. I ended up dumping all but about 4 bottles. Best thing I did when I was up there was to get a fridge temperature controller. The difference between brews was night and day.

I'd suggest for Darwin, fermentation temperature control particularly important, more so than most other places in Australia given the climate and for the sake of $16 for an STC-1000 plus a few extension cables and a tupperware box, it's a no brainer. Ozbrew should bundle a temperature controller with every starter kit.

But better than that, go and speak to Pat at Darwin Home Brewing (darwinhomebrewing.com.au) for some decent advice on brewing in Darwin.

James, if you're on facebook, jump on the Darwin and NT Homebrewers facebook group - lots of people with plenty of experience of brewing in Darwin.

Maybe I'm a tight arse, but why would you spend $100 for a second hand fridge, $15 for an stc1000. Then find you don't like brewing?
Better to try it on the cheap, then go from there. My 2 bobs worth.

Regards

Chris

Old Bloke said:
Maybe I'm a tight arse, but why would you spend $100 for a second hand fridge, $15 for an stc1000. Then find you don't like brewing?
Better to try it on the cheap, then go from there. My 2 bobs worth.

Regards

Chris
Well, that's true enough but then on the other hand there's nothing that would put me off brewing more than making shit grog.

why does the fridge need cost $100?

You are right, cheap beer with little regard for it is for tight arses.. good beer made cheaply is a different kettle of crocodiles..

If you like beer.. and you can make it well.. you will continue the hobby as time permits you not the finance of it.

Yob said:
My old Val was an auto and never had reverse...
If you make decent beer the first time because you used some temp control....just like Yobs Valiant, there'll be no going back.

#Did you see what i did...never had reverse....no going back.......HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I crack me up.

Welly's advice is solid.
Pat at Darwin Home brewing had fermenters at a very reasonable price too.
Temp control gives a much better beer. The first beers I made in Darwin without temp control were pretty poor.
Some people like the Ozbrew kits (pretty ordinary in my view) but beware they shaft you on price for most things.
I used to order Coopers kits online when I was extract brewing.
As you go on you can make better beer again by steeping some crystal malt, adding hops and using a good yeast or just go the whole hog and get into all-grain and make excellent beers.
But don't be disappointed with your early results if you don't temp control and aren't really careful with your hygiene (heaps of posts on this).

Latest posts

Back