hello from a Melbourne noobie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive just read on the instructions that came with the converter the final SG should be 1010 to 1012, but that is for 21lt of wort, Ive done 18lt would that make that much differance?

jluca said:
Ive just read on the instructions that came with the converter the final SG should be 1010 to 1012, but that is for 21lt of wort, Ive done 18lt would that make that much differance?
It will make a bit of difference in terms of yeast attenuation (given that yeast will ferment x% of available sugar and you have increased the proportion of sugar).

However depending on the amounts of each in the booster, I'd be well surprised if a pack of maltodextrin, lactose and malt extract finished anywhere near 1010. Do the fast ferment test if nothing changes in a week and you are worried (or do it while you wait).

Hi Jason,

Just started my first brew a week ago today, I am also in the same boat as you with a reading of 1020 after one week and no sign of bubbles from the airlock.

I'm brewing the Aussie Draught kit @ 19 liters, the temp in Melbourne has been cold so my temps have been getting down to 15-17c which I suspect has caused my yeast to pack up for the winter.
I have given the brew a stir and chucked a heat pad underneath to get it back up to a solid 18-19c, will take another gravity test in a few days and see if this has made any difference.

This first brew hasn't gone to plan but at least it has given me a better understanding of how temps and yeasts work.

Good Luck!
Rhys

quick question, what should the hydrometer reading be for plain (tap) water? Mine reads 1100.

1.000 in 15 or 20 deg water depending on what your hydrometer is calibrated to. Actual difference won't be huge but the difference increases as temperature increases so hot wort will measure much lower than cool wort.

ok I have done the fast ferment test and the hydro reading is 1020, so is the wort in the fermenter.
so should I just bottle it this weekend?

That would be my way of thinking but as it's your first I would suggest erring on the side of caution. Carbonate slightly on the lower side and use PET rather than glass.
Going on what you've said, I'm confident that's all it will give but it's not my beer and bottle bombs can be dangerous.

Hello! Finally i have found a site with some useful info, i am a Noob as well and currently have my third batch going atm. It's an Irish Stout which has been brewing in the first fermenter for 17 days now. I had a brewer belt on it up until last night which has kept it at a steady 24-26 degrees. The bubbling has slowed down considerably since the 10 day mark but as the sg reading was still high i have just let it sit. It probably bubbles once every few hours now. Is there any harm in letting it sit in the first fermenter for another couple weeks before i put it into the second fermenter?

thanks manticle, im bottleing into 750 ml pet bottles, so do you suggest i add only 1 carbonation drop per bottle?

I'd go with one. May not be as fizzy as you'd like but each brew is a learning experience. I prefer lower fizz anyway but not everyone does.

manticle said:
I'd go with one. May not be as fizzy as you'd like but each brew is a learning experience. I prefer lower fizz anyway but not everyone does.
+1, suits the style to keep carbonation low on a stout anywho.

thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Definitely Crass... Not only are the blokes on this forum helpful, they have decent taste in music too.

Latest posts

Back