Hello Everyone!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 2.6 litre co2 bottle for now from kegland and a couple of 19L ball lock kegs! Also got a co2 regulator and "keg connect sytem" from triple j http://www.triplejhomebrew.com.au/2-x-ball-lock-keg-connect-system.html.

Ordered a temp controller from ebay for my chest freezer and hopefully all set now!

Question I had with kegging though, ive seen a process forced carbonation, looks pretty similar to what im doing now with the bottling. Add co2 (boiled sugar) and leave for a while to carbonate. After ive set the desired carbonation level in the keg do i need to keep th co2 cylinder connected to keep it at a certain psi or is it set from the get go? Main reason im asking is ive got a 2 way manifold in the kit I ordred up and wondering if I can use that for 2 different carbonation levels? Do i need to get a dual regualtor or can i shut off the valves to each keg and top up psi seperately?

once carbonated leave the bottle off or your beer will over carbonate . The more beers you pour the flow will gradually become slower then just turn bottle on and off again . I've never heard of putting sugar in a keg there's a method on here somewhere showing how to force carbonate with gas only . Personally I just wind it up to 40 pound and leave it for 48 hrs

Someone recently told me that they shut the gas off, i thought it was a wierd thing to do. I think that I did for the first keg or two.

There's nothing wrong with naturally carbonating a keg, some say you get finer bubbles from dextrose.

If you want two different carbonation levels you will need to individually regulate the pressure or temperature of each keg.

I leave my kegs under serving pressure at all times, I have never experienced over carbonation from leaving the gas on at serving pressure

If I want to force carb in a hurry 40psi for 24hrs usually does the job but generally I just let the keg carb at servicing pressure for a couple of weeks

What pressure would you carb a 19 l keg not force carb but if you want to let it sit for a week or two before drinking? Sorry if it's a dumb question but just getting into kegs trying to learn as much as I can before I get set up! Cheers

What pressure would you carb a 19 l keg not force carb but if you want to let it sit for a week or two before drinking? Sorry if it's a dumb question but just getting into kegs trying to learn as much as I can before I get set up! Cheers
Your serving pressure, mine is usually 10-12 psi. Beer temperature and beer line length play an important part too :)

Edit, ask away. You will find plenty of help on here.

beer line length being from the keg to the tap? a quick google pulled up:

For 4mm ID (internal diameter) beer line the length should be 1.8-2.5m, for
5mm ID beer line the length should be about 3-4.5 meters.
6mm internal diameter the length should be 5-10 meters.

this sound about right? if so does that include the length of line inside the keg or valve to tap?

EDIT: sorry to be a pain asking so many questions. I imagine its all trial and error and personal preferences but being my first AG brew i wouldnt mind getting it the best possible first time around :)

Thanks for the help fellas, this forum has a lot of great ideas and knowledge that helps heaps for us new brewers

beer line length being from the keg to the tap? a quick google pulled up:

For 4mm ID (internal diameter) beer line the length should be 1.8-2.5m, for
5mm ID beer line the length should be about 3-4.5 meters.
6mm internal diameter the length should be 5-10 meters.

this sound about right? if so does that include the length of line inside the keg or valve to tap?

EDIT: sorry to be a pain asking so many questions. I imagine its all trial and error and personal preferences but being my first AG brew i wouldnt mind getting it the best possible first time around :)
No pain, I have 2 beer lines with a 4mm id. They are both 2m in length and work perfectly. My third tap is on a 5mm ID also 2m but tap is flow control and works well but you have to fiddle with the choke so I'm replacing the flow control tap with a normal tap, I think that fc is overrated but I think that I would have a higher opinion of them if all my taps were flow control. That's to say when it comes to multiple taps you want to standardise everything for the sake of balancing your system.

4mm ID is the best but I am seriously looking at changing my lines back to 5mm ID. One of my taps is set up so I can remove or swap out the line in a second so I don't need to be committed to one length or ID
Thanks for the help fellas, this forum has a lot of great ideas and knowledge that helps heaps for us new brewers

Looks like theyve supplied me with 5mm and 1.5m per tap. Ill install what theyve given me for now and see how it goes! Keezer all built now, just need some crimpers to fit the clamps correctly.

Attachments

• 20180415_180242~2.jpg
    20180415_180242~2.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 30
Back