He'll rob here brand new at this and have a sugar question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robrock

Reaction score
When I bottle my pale ale if I don't use carb drops what's the best sugar I can use .white brown etc . I'm using 330 ml glass so my calculation is 2.6 grams per bottle I think ... Any help will be great . Many thanks

Ok great thanks is there any reason I would use carb drops over sugar ? Is the only advantage that it is a pre metered dose

Yep, easy to use and that's about it. Have you seen the sugar scoops for bottling, excellent if you use 375/750ml bottles. Your local homebrew shop should have them.

Convenience really. However they cost more, can be irregular in size and tend to overcarb if using 1 per stubbie or 2 per longneck. I also started detecting a sweetness in my bottles that I suspect was from the drops as it went away when I stopped using them. I use white sugar or coopers dextrose when it's cheap.

^ I use a scoop like the one Qldkev linked.

Scoop is a grand idea my drama is that my glass is 330 ml so I need a touch less per bottle I don't mind pre measuring every does I'm perdantic like that with most things and being new do like things at the letter of law so to speak ... However the spoon is a metered dose thing ? With measure aid or simply the scoop when full equals 3 grams . Thanks sorry to ask dumb questions

Ok very good thanks is there a best measure of white sugar in a 740 bottle or should I just stick with 6 grams ?

I use caster sugar for priming. Because the granules are smaller than regular sugar, they pack in tighter into the sugar scoop, so I cut the opening in mine down by about a third to allow for it. Easy to do with a modelling scalpel (yes, I use surgical scalpels in my model building).

Back