Heineken 5l Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Fermentation Assistant
Reaction score
I was in the bottleshop just now getting a Trumer for lunch (it's a tough life), and I noticed a heap of 5L heineken kegs. I didn't have a close look, but they appear different to the normal 5L plastic-tap keg that come out every now and then.

Has anyone seen/bought one of these? Would I be right to assume the chances of draining and refilling one is slim to none?

I saw these in the lastest Alpha mag - they were listed for around $34 and were re-fillable - don't know how

MWS

I have a Lowenbrau oktoberfest one (still full) which my brother bought back from Munich (he went for octoberfest). I am going to be performing a few mods to it afteri consume the o'fest goodness (tap and gas in connect).

Seen them today as well.

They are the for the Beertender machine.

What they are basically is a beer in bladder inside a small keg design. Beertender pumps air into keg without coming into contact with the beer. I'm still not sure how to convert to home brew purposes just yet.

i found an old tooheys new 5 liter keg on a shelf a few months back and thought "i bet i can refill that"

Its the one with the red plastic tap and the little red thing on top you rotate to let the beer out.

I pulled the red thing out and fought with the rubber grommet for 15 minuites but got it out without using a screwdriver to pry it which would bend the top and kill the seal.

I filled it up with an english bitter that had been bulk primed and sealed her up.

Well that was a few months ago and its holding preasure.

I think i will pop it in a fridge soon and try it out.

cheers

The 5L Heini keg. Yes you can enjoy the nice lager and then refill. For those who have a keg system use a counter presure unit to transfer from keg to keg just before the party or where ever you are going. I have not done it, yet, but i guess you could also secondary ferment in it. All that is needed is good sanitization and a good seal. :)

My brother-in-law (Dutch) bought one of these over the other day, which he had had sitting in his pantry for about 12 months - as you might imagine, the beer was rather ordinary, so it went down the sink - also poured mostly head, so was well and truly past used by date! Now I have it, I would like to re-use it, but can't work out how to get into the top? Is there an easy way?

Cheers,

Morrie

Got any pics??

Ive got a 5l Heini keg, but the tap goes into, what looks like, a Fly spray can nozzle arrangement??

Are these the ones to refill???

or the ones with the tap at the base of the keg???

Perfect description Linz, fly can arrangement it is - So I guess these type are not able to be refilled.

Back